partial or full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmackey

Reaction score
I am just starting out. I have two options for my extract kit. I can boil 3 gal in a stainless or the full 5 gal in an aluminum pot. Which should I use? Thanks in advance...

What ever you want to.
If you want a full boil go for the Ali pot if not go for the stainless.

Are you adding hops?
Are you on a stove top?

Those are way more important factors then the material of the pot.

There is a lot of conversation about steel v. Al.
Full boils are generally considered better.
Either will make good beer.
I would research how to prepare the AL pot and full boil.
I gather you need to bake it to form an inert layer in your AL.

Good luck.

Also, keep in mind that you have to chill whatever size you boil. If you have a way to chill 5 gallons of boiling wort, like an immersion chiller, then I'd go with the 5 gallon boil. If you have to chill in an ice bath, I'd go with the 3 gallon boil. It takes a long time to chill 5 gallons of boiling wort. For 3 gallons, you can stick it in an ice bath until it's under 90 degrees, then top up to 5 gallons with cool water.

Thanks guys, I'm going to try the 3 gal first. Sounds easier to cool.

Thanks guys, I'm going to try the 3 gal first. Sounds easier to cool.

Or you could do what I do.... collect 7.5/8 gallons of runnings split evenly and in same concentration between TWO 5 gallons brew pots.

This way, you are doing 2 small batches side-by-side but it will still be a full-boil. Plus, you will be able to chill 2 pots fast enough in your bathtub. I bring my SS pots from boiling to 70*F in about 30 to 40 minutes top.

Just make sure that you are splitting the runnings evenly between the two pots so that the gravity is the same in both. This way, the adjuncts that you will also split in half will be absorbed the same way in both kettles.

Partial Boil. Does the water that is added after the partial boil need to be boiled and cooled first? Or can this be cold tap water or bottled water?

Either, really. Municipal tap water usually has chlorine, which can cause problems - though I've used it before. You can pre-boil and cool tap water which will remove chlorine but then need to aerate your wort well because boiling removes the oxygen. I use bottled drinking water in gallon jugs - no chlorine, shaking up the jugs gives good aeration and they're easy to pop in the freezer for a couple of hours to pre-chill. Takes care of both cooling and aeration for about $3.

Back