Partial / mini mash question here .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifearnothing0

Reaction score
If I'm doing a mini / partial with 8oz Crystal 80L , 8oz Victory and 4oz of Cara-Pils in a 5 gallon St steel kettle with 2.5 gallons of water at 162f .. How much temp should lose by adding the grains ?

Sounds more like a steeping operation. What's your base
malt? Need something for conversion if it's a mash.

If you are just steeping I'd heat some water to 155F or so
add in my grain, and add heat to keep it at 155F. Steeping
doesn't require tight temp control.

All the Best,
D. White

Agree with dwhite... there are no mash able grains in this recipe, so no worries, this is an extract with grain recipe. So just step your grains and be as you would for an extract batch.

If I'm doing a mini / partial with 8oz Crystal 80L , 8oz Victory and 4oz of Cara-Pils in a 5 gallon St steel kettle with 2.5 gallons of water at 162f .. How much temp should lose by adding the grains ?

It doesn't matter. None of those grains have any diastatic power, so cannot be mashed without a base malt present. If that is the grain bill, you are just steeping.

But .... to answer your question. 1.25 lbs of grain in about 1.5 quarts will lower temp about 10 to 11 F, so in 10 quarts, it will drop the temp about 1.5 F.

That's not a partial/mini mash grainbill, as the others said, so you can steep in any temp as long as it stays below 170 degrees or so.

In order for it to be a partial mash/ mini mash, some grains that have diastatic power (base grains) need to be mashed in a prescribed amount of water for a prescribed amount of time at a prescribed temperature.

For a steep, think of it as making tea- don't boil, and steep to extract color and flavor. Temperature really doesn't matter a bit.

Thanks for all the advice folks ! .. It was just a steeping grain bill for an extract batch .. It was just new equipment I was trying for the first time , also trying to get use to the idea of how much heat grains absorb before I try to get into all grain batches

going all grain BIAB is the way to go. I started off my first batch with BIAB with the intent of moving to 3 vessel traditional, but never did. My beer has consistently getting better and its great to only have 1 vessel to clean at the end of the day. Its been over 100 batches and i still woudnt change a thing. I just use these gal paint strainer bags from lowes for the bags, works great

I do biab, all grain, and partial mash. I'm a big fan of partial mash brewing. I personally prefer it to other methods. you get to do all the cool fun stuff you do in all grain brewing, but you get very predictable results. It takes a little less time. and you really really learn how to work with the grains without having a bunch of down the drain batches. I also really enjoy brew in a bag. although I'm so old school I still sparge rinse when I brew in a bag. there is not one and only one way to make great beer. extract and partial mash brews have won NHC awards. my advice is find the technique that you do really really well. And stick with it, don't buy into the nonsense that you can't make great beer with extract and that you have to do only all grain.

I will add, the best beers I've ever had were all grain. All grain does cost less to brew. I think guys who only do all grain are often guys who really Have their techniques down.

Back