Partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfulin19

Reaction score
I'm wondering about the grain to water ratio for a partial mash. Is it the same as all grain or do I steep the grains in all 6 gallons of water? I've done all grain and extract batches but never a partial I ruined my mash tun last year and I'm in the process of building a new one but I want to brew something in the meantime.

I wouldn't do it in the full 6 gallons. I would try to keep it in the 1.25 - 3 quarts/pound range. An exact ratio isn't all that crucial.

EDIT: If you get too dilute, the enzymes are less likely to encounter all of the starches in order to convert them to sugars.

look at it as a "mini" and not a "partial" mash

you're doing a full mash, you're just not getting all your fermentables from grain, so the procedures would remain the same. up until you add extract to make up your gravity points

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I heard that somewhere else to but that's definitely a good way of looking at it. They should just change the name hahah

Back