Partial Mash Temp Way Too Low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilwiggum

Reaction score
So I made my second partial mash yesterday and had some issues. I heated my water, added the grains and adjusted until I had a temp of 152 as the instructions suggested. I wrapped my kettle in towels and brought it outside to sit for an hour. When I checked the temp at 30 minutes, it had dropped to 130.

I added about 2-3 quarts of water to try to bring it back up but didn't have much luck. I resorted to bringing it back on the stove and heating it carefully. I got it back to about 155 and was able to keep it around 140-150 for about 40 minutes.

My OG ended up being only a couple points off the target OG so am I ok or will my less than ideal procedure cause some problems?

That's fine. You'll get plenty of enzyme activity at those temps. Did you rinse with warmer water? If not you may have left some sugars behind (which would account for missing the target OG). You won't get any problems from that mash, just a more fermentable wort.

That's fine. You'll get plenty of enzyme activity at those temps. Did you rinse with warmer water? If not you may have left some sugars behind (which would account for missing the target OG). You won't get any problems from that mash, just a more fermentable wort.

Yeah, I rinsed with water around 168. I figured this was a RDWHAHB situation but I'm new to partial mashes. Thanks for the info.

Back