Partial mash, small(?) error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of the mash for a partial mash pale ale recipe. I was reading the wrong printout and I'm mashing the grains in 2.5 gallons instead of under a gallon, as the directions actually call for. The temp took a bit longer to bring down because there was so much water.

Anyway, my question is, how should I adjust the mash? The length called for by my brew software was 60 minute mash/steep. Should I go longer? Shorter? Not worry about it and have a homebrew?

Thanks.

Well, the munich & melanoidin have to be mashed, so 3 3/4 quarts of water would've been very close @ 1 1/2 quarts per pound of grain for the mash. 2 1/2 gallons is way too much to mash with for 2 1/2lbs of grains. The PH could go too far the wrong way & extract tannins.

Well, the munich & melanoidin have to be mashed, so 3 3/4 quarts of water would've been very close @ 1 1/2 quarts per pound of grain for the mash. 2 1/2 gallons is way too much to mash with for 2 1/2lbs of grains. The PH could go too far the wrong way & extract tannins.

That's what I was afraid of. FWIW, I checked the PH with a test strip (which I know isn't always the most accurate), and the PH was measuring at 4.8, which is actually where I always test at. That was almost near the end of the mash.

Tannins come from high pH plus high temps. Your pH is low, so chance of tannins is minimal. You should be ok.

Brew on :mug:

Cool, no problem. Just chilling with y'all while I warm my frozen hands a bit from washing/rinsing a ton of bottles. With all We've been doing to get ready for Christmas, I'm surprised I only goofed up once! :mug:

Back