Partial Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slinky0390

Reaction score
Hey, haven't been around her in a while, school has been taking up my time/this summer was full of vacations with no time to brew. Anyway, I'm set up for AG brewing with a 10gal tun, but I simply don't have the time to go an all grain brew. I'm under the assumption that a partial mash will take up just as much time, I'm correct right? I'm in the process to converting a recipe to extract but there are some things I'll need to steep, but I'm pretty sure they would benefit from mashing.

If you're also doing a full wort boil, then the time for a partial mash and AG would be about the same and I can't think of any advantage to doing a PM vs an AG. That said, there have been times that I have done BIAB partial mash, pulled the grains (no sparge) and then added water and malt extract to the correct preboil OG. Very fast technique and does not require the tun.

If you're also doing a full wort boil, then the time for a partial mash and AG would be about the same and I can't think of any advantage to doing a PM vs an AG. That said, there have been times that I have done BIAB partial mash, pulled the grains (no sparge) and then added water and malt extract to the correct preboil OG. Very fast technique and does not require the tun.

Hm, maybe I'll they the BIAB method. Time is my only concern, I really don't have a full day to dedicate to brewing right now, only a couple hours, and I can brew an extract fairly quickly from start to finish.

Back