Partial Mash Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent77

Reaction score
Hello all. I am fairly new to the partial mash scene. I have completed one brown ale with marginal success. My question though is for the batch I just put into my primary.

I have been following/reading information from Dave Miller's book. (complete handbook to home brewing..) and it seems like a majority of his recipes are fairly low SG. The porter I just put in the primary was 1.043 OG, and if the calculations are correct should go to 1.008.

It seems like Porters and much of the fuller bodied beers are recommended for longer fermentation periods in primary/secondary. For a lower gravity porter what would you suggest the fermentation schedule would be?

Thanks in advance!

I have become a fan of a 1 month primary only lately. Thats what i suggest. The beer seems to come into its stride a little sooner. An added plus is you are not tempted to drink it in the primary so it ages a little longer. That said I just bottled a mild that had an OG of 1.039 and ended @ 1.011 that was only in primary for 2 weeks. I need my own advice.

Latest posts

Back