Partial Mash Mash Tuns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
I am going to do my 5th brew and 3rd partial mash next week. I have 9 lbs of assorted grains I will be mashing.

The past 2 brews I had less grains and "mashed" them in a brew pot. The first turned out awesome, the second is still in the secondary (lagers are slow).

I so not have a mash tun yet and will not ave one for this next brew. What I have available are 2 3 gallon coolers with normal water spouts. I am going to do is put the grains divided up in 4 grain bags (the same size as comes in most brewer's best kits).

I was thinking of putting half in each cooler and mini mashing at 153. Then sparging each one into the brew pot.

Being a newer brewer I was wondering if this is a viable solution or am I going down the wrong path?

I am not worried about the grains clogging the coolers because I am basically doing the BIAB method.

thanx

it will work as long as you can ensure you don't have any dry pockets of grain in those bags.

Sounds like it'll work. Before I got a ball valve/braid setup, I tried something similar - mashing in a bag in a cooler. Holding that little spout button down was a pain so I just lifted the bag out and let the liquid drip out, and then poured the whole thing into the kettle. Sounds like that's what you're planning? It should work.

Back