Partial Mash IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garguy

Reaction score
Looking to make a big, fruity/citrusy IPA...Borderline Double IPA.

Here is what I've got... 5.5 gal recipe

2 lbs pale 2 row
0.5 lb Cara-pils
0.5 lb British Medium Crystal

Planning on mashing in muslin bag for 30 min @ 158F in 2.5 gallons of h2o
Then rinsing in mesh strainer with 1 gallon of 170F h2o, bringing boil volume to approx 3.5 gallons, then adding the rest of the h20 to the primary to make 5.5

At boil I will add 4 lbs Maillard Malts Gold LME & 1.5 lbs Extra Light DME
I am planning on a late addition 30 minutes into boil of 2 lbs Maillard Malts Gold LME & 1.5 lbs Extra Light DME

Hop Schedule:

1 oz Apollo @ 60 min
2 oz Huell Melon @ 10 min
2 oz El Dorado @ Flameout
1 oz Huell Melon @ Flameout

Dry Hop 1 oz El Dorado & 1 oz Huell Melon

Please Critique, this will be my first partial mash. Thanks!

Looking to make a big, fruity/citrusy IPA...Borderline Double IPA.

Here is what I've got... 5.5 gal recipe

2 lbs pale 2 row
0.5 lb Cara-pils
0.5 lb British Medium Crystal

Planning on mashing in muslin bag for 30 min @ 158F in 2.5 gallons of h2o
Then rinsing in mesh strainer with 1 gallon of 170F h2o, bringing boil volume to approx 3.5 gallons, then adding the rest of the h20 to the primary to make 5.5

At boil I will add 4 lbs Maillard Malts Gold LME & 1.5 lbs Extra Light DME
I am planning on a late addition 30 minutes into boil of 2 lbs Maillard Malts Gold LME & 1.5 lbs Extra Light DME

Hop Schedule:

1 oz Apollo @ 60 min
2 oz Huell Melon @ 10 min
2 oz El Dorado @ Flameout
1 oz Huell Melon @ Flameout

Dry Hop 1 oz El Dorado & 1 oz Huell Melon

Please Critique, this will be my first partial mash. Thanks!

You might want to change that out to a nylon mesh bag (paint strainer bag) as the muslin bag may hold the grains too tightly making it difficult to stir. You want all the grains to be wet through quickly.

The water you use to rinse the grains (sparging) can be much cooler if you want. There won't be much difference in the amount of sugars rinsed out with it. Unless you are certain that the pH of the mash is below 6.0, using cooler water will avoid extracting tannins. 170 is just about the limit where high mash pH can extract the tannins.

Once you see how easy it is to get conversion in your partial mash you might consider going all grain. It's really easy if you do the mash in a bag (BIAB). If the grains are milled well, your efficiency will rival that of the people who use a mash tun but yours can be done right in the boil kettle.

I would bring that mash temp down. I do most IPAs around 148 to 150 but I like them dry.

Back