partial mash flaked wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benl560

Reaction score
im going to try my first partial mash today with
2# 6 row
2# malted wheat
1# flaked wheat
3.3# wheat lme
1.5 oz stresilspalt split at 60 and 5

my question is, do i need to mash the flaked wheat? how much flaked wheat should i use?
feedback will help thanks

I believe you will want to mash the flaked wheat with the 6 row as it will need the enzymes from the barley to convert it's starches. My LHBS's webpage says to use up to 40% of flaked wheat, but I've used more before with no problems

Yes, mash the flaked wheat with your 6 row and malted wheat. What else would you have done with it?

well i didnt know if i should just steep it as ive don in all of the other recipes because its not malted. thanks though.

Gotcha. I've noticed that often folks who move from steeping to partial mashing think they must now do both a mash operation and a steeping operation. When you're mashing, you're also steeping so there's no need for a separate step - adjuncts and specialty grains go right into the mash.

Because it's not malted, flaked wheat actually must be mashed with malted base grains in order to get the goodies (sugar) out. A simple steep of flaked wheat would only add starches to the beer.

i got done and my gravity is just slightly lower than expected, but just slightly.
brings me to another question. how do i know if my mash converted the starches or not? the thermometor took forever to register so i had it mashing at about 160 for a half an hour.

Back