partial mash - effects of aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
hey again,

just a question for those of you that have been kegging for a while:

I mostly do partial mash batches due to time and ease, and have now kegged my fourth and fifth batches since I started kegging. However, I'm noticing in the few beers I still have left on tap that I tapped in early november that they seem to be losing a bit of their original flavor and are getting a little bit harsher (i.e. just a rougher, more bitter-like taste, kind of abnormal) than they used to be over the last week or so. At least, one of them is - my amber - the other, my stout, is just losing its creaminess and fullness and is taking on more of the dark grain flavor tones.

j/w is this an effect that generally occurs when kegged beer is on tap so long? or is this something that may be due to using malt extract as a base? I never seemed to have this problem with bottled beers - they seemed to stay fresher longer, but I guess that would make sense, since the seal on them remained untouched.

Don't know... just looking for any input on the subject. any thoughts or comments are appreciated. i can provide more information on their storage if it will help narrow things down.

I've never had that happen with my kegged beer but there also shouldn't be any different effect from malt extract or grains. usually the harshness you talk about goes away with time not comes forward

Back