partial bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nittanybevo

Reaction score
Back on NYE, I made the King's Nutz Maple nut brown. After a month in primary, I'm ready for it to move on. I'm planning on bottling a 12 pack to age. So far, I've only kegged. I have an idea how to bottle, but I have no idea how much priming sugar I should use. I've kegged in the past because I was concerned about bottle bombs. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Well you can fill bottles from your keg so you can carb it to the level you like and then bottle from there. You do need special equipment for that like a counter pressure bottle filler or a blichman beer gun. I have a CPBF that I like using. If you are set on bottle briming there are plenty of calculators out there that will tell you how much sugar to use. There's ones on tastybrew.com and/or brewersfriend.com that I like to use. For a 12 pack it's going to be a small amount of sugar, probably less than a ounce.

I've tried to bottle from the keg...everything turns out flat. I found the directions and built the counter pressure gun, but it usually just makes a mess and my bottles are flat. I'm probably not doing something right, but since I don't bottle a lot, I didn't want to invest in the better equipment.

Since its only 12, you could just add sugar to each bottle (similar to what people do for Mr. Beer). Mr. Beer recommends 3/4 teaspoon per 12 oz bottle.

Yeah sounds like you are not using the filler correctly. I have never really noticed a decrease in the carbonation level and I doubt that it's anymore than a 10th of a volume of Co2 which IMHO isn't a big deal.

Back