Parti-gyle (sort of) help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ply318ci

Reaction score
I am planning on doing my first Parti-gyle (sort of) what i am going to do is take the first runnings and second runnings and boil them separately with the same boil time and the same hop schedule and then add them together. I am doing this this way because I don't have a big enough boil pot to hold all of the wort. I am only doing a one gallon batch that will add up to two gallons once I combine the two runnings.

4 lbs of Crisp Organic English Pale Malt
3oz of sugar

1oz of New Zealand Nelson Sauvin total

(hop schedule use the same for both boils debating between a 60, 90 or 120 minute boil)
.2oz at 60
.1 at 30
.1 at 15
.1 at FO

Would this work or am I better off doing two one gallon batches a strong ale and a weak one?

What would happen if I combined the two runnings after the boil, would the differences in OG be a problem do the average out or increase?

Thanks for the help.

I think you would get a better consistency from the boil if you mixed the two runnings and then split it between pots.

I don't have a big enough pot to mix with the biggest I got is 6qts which has worked so far with my smaller beers I have brewed but nothing this big before. Thanks for the idea.

Actually I am going to buy a Home Depot bucket to ferment the 2 gallons in could I just use that to mix the runnings and then just clean it out before butting the boiled wort back in?

I am doing a one gallon barleywine and a two gallon pale ale of that helps. So of I want to add some crystal 60L to the pale ale do I just through it in and Sparge or do I need to let it steep for a while. And will 3/4 of a package of dry yeast in the barley wine and 3/4 in the two gallon pal ale work and how much head space do I need in my two gallon home depot bucket is two inches enough if I am not using a blow off tube or air lock just the non air tight lid on top. Thanks.

I don't have a big enough pot to mix with the biggest I got is 6qts which has worked so far with my smaller beers I have brewed but nothing this big before. Thanks for the idea.

Actually I am going to buy a Home Depot bucket to ferment the 2 gallons in could I just use that to mix the runnings and then just clean it out before butting the boiled wort back in?

Yes, exactly. I do it all time but on five gallon batches that start with 7+ gallons of wort. I have to split it between two buckets, and in some cases I'll boil off for a bit before adding the second bucket so it all fits in my boil kettle.

Scratching the original idea and going straight partigyle doing a one gallon batch of smash barleywine and adding some crystal 60 and doing a two gallon light pale ale all tomorrow pictures to follow.

It is where you make two beers from one batch of grains. A strong and a weak or small beer. If you type it in under the search this site has a grip load of information on it.

This is pretty much exactly the way I brew, but I make 4ish gallon batches. I think it works great - 1st runnings in one kettle, 2nd runnings in the other. I usually split my hops 2/3 with the 1st an 1/3 with the 2nd. Not sure if it makes a big difference, but I figure that my gravities are split that way I might as well split my hops the same.

This technique is what allowed me to go all grain and "full" boil. I sacrifice a little volume, but I am very very happy with this method.

That helps a ton I wasn't sure how to do the hops but that is a great method. Thanks.

Hmm.not shure still but i do two diff batches with 2-2 gallon boils for my 2 gallon fermeters with differnt grain bills but simialar and diff hops/yeast usually.I still mash/sparge equallly depending on grain amount but usually have different gravities.Since i do small batches i guess it should deserve another name? I just call it a double small batch but that is a pretty weak name i guess.

Back