Panel wired for both homebrew and commercial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
My partner and I are wanting to use the control panel I made to power our commercial brewery. The idea here is to be able to use it both for my homebrew system (or pilot) and the new commercial system.

For simplicity lets discuss power to a single vessel, the kettle. Assuming a 240v supply, we are wanting to incorporate a sub panel that houses (3) 80a SSRs each dedicated to supply a 15kw element. Currently, one 30a SSR supplies (1) 5,500kw element to my homebrew kettle.

To achieve this, I’m thinking the DC side of the (1) existing 30amp SSR and (3) new 80amp SSRs can be wired in parallel, either hard wired or with a quick disconnect between the two panels. I can install a DPDT switch to swap between the two outputs, this way when brewing on one system we do not have a misfire on the other system.

Does this diagram look sound? Can anyone recommend a low profile panel mount quick connector suited to connect the existing control panel to the new sub panel? I assume any low voltage 2pin connector would work?

Discussing source, my first thought is to stay with 240v as my panel is currently wired this way. Tho, converting to 480v is an option, any reason to go one way or the other? The location has not been secured, I imagine 240v is more commonly available.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas,
Steve

Panel.jpg
Wiring.jpeg

240 is more common.

Bldg inspectors will likely ask for UL listing or something similar. I’d verify before you spend any dough.

240 is more common.

Bldg inspectors will likely ask for UL listing or something similar. I’d verify before you spend any dough.
Is there a way to know this without actually being "in the moment?" Ive done a bit of research and from what I understand some breweries have experienced inspectors asking for UL approval but most haven't. I guess were at the mercy of the inspector. It would be nice to understand this so we can get going on this build.

Find the most local guys and ask. Hopefully someone opened recently and knows.

Otherwise its a gamble.

Now given the size, you can move the equipment in and out easily. Maybe run the control panel off a plug. Inspector can sign off on a box with a rated plug without seeing what goes in it. If he asks tell him the manufacturer is behind schedule.

Find the most local guys and ask. Hopefully someone opened recently and knows.

Otherwise its a gamble.

Now given the size, you can move the equipment in and out easily. Maybe run the control panel off a plug. Inspector can sign off on a box with a rated plug without seeing what goes in it. If he asks tell him the manufacturer is behind schedule.
Is there such a thing as a receptacle/plug for 200A @ 240V?

Edit: Just checked my NEMA receptacle/plug drawing document, and there is nothing higher than 60A. 15KW @ 240V requires 62.5A, so there isn't even a three plug solution.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
Is there such a thing as a receptacle/plug for 200A @ 240V?

Edit: Just checked my NEMA receptacle/plug drawing document, and there is nothing higher than 60A. 15KW @ 240V requires 62.5A, so there isn't even a three plug solution.

Brew on :mug:
At that point you'd use 3-phase 5-wire cam lock tie-ins. Common in the events industry.

Ah, yeah that might be a problem. I was thinking hypothetically. At 200A inspector might want to see the whole install.

Back