'Palmer Says' Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutra2418

Reaction score
Hey all! Long time no post, but trust me, I lurk just about every day. I've finally made the plunge to all grain and am building my mash tun currently. It is a 48qt coleman with rectangular copper manifold. From all the pictures I have seen in the DIY forum I see that the latitudinal (cross member) pipes are slotted. As always I am consulting howtobrew and palmer says that is not necessary. He says the increase in efficiency is negligable, and I tend to agree. I think it would increase the risk of channeling if your proportions are the slightest bit off. I see that a lot of you all grain folks do it anyway..so I figured I would ask seeing as how practice is often different than theory.

I just listened to Palmer on a Brew Strong podcast about sparging last week. In that show he said that having a manifold vs. a single pipe or braid would increase efficiency because there would be a more even flow as the wert drained out of the grain bed. They talked about actually doing flow tests in a fish tank with food coloring to watch the flow - sounds like fun...

I'm building my tun now also and after much research I've decided to cut slots and drill holes. From what I've read the combination helps prevent stuck sparges.

Back