Pale pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishpenguin13

Reaction score
Im planning on making a brew for a friend of mines wedding gift. They both like pumpkin ales and pale ales, not really ipa's. So I was thinking a "pale pumpkin". I was thinking of using my original pumpkin Ale recipe consisting of cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and vanilla bean, and pumpkin of course. My question is: how would I make a pumpkin/pale mix? More hops? Medium bittering hops? Dry hop my regular recipe? Would the styles conflict? Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Hmmm I can't really think about what that would taste like. Most pumpkin ales I've had are basically amber ales that are low hopped. Maybe use some spicy type hops (Nugget comes to mind) to compliment the pumpkin spices you are adding.

Interested to see what comes of this.

+1 on the spicy hops. I'd stay away from the citrusy ones and just go with noble varietals.

Also, how much pumpkin were you planning on using?

Good ideas on the hop choice. I honestly cant remember the pounds o pumpkin exactly. Pretty sure it was 3 pie pumpkins cut n baked. Just read a good article in BYO today about style fusion and that hop choice sounds right on.

kpr121 said:
Hmmm I can't really think about what that would taste like. Most pumpkin ales I've had are basically amber ales that are low hopped. Maybe use some spicy type hops (Nugget comes to mind) to compliment the pumpkin spices you are adding.

Interested to see what comes of this.

Ill be interested too, definately gonna do a some trial runs before the final one.

Back