Pale Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most online stores carry DME in 44-60 lb boxes, typically $2.50-$3 a pound. Not exactly cheap, but better than $10 for 3 lbs. Northern Brewer's about the best I know of, Cooper's light DME 44lbs/$110. The downside is the shipping charges. Have you tried infospace's yellow pages for a local source? Many times, your local supplier is buying from a wholesaler and the wholesaler is willing to sell direct as well.

voodoochild7 said:
but is a dry better than a liquid? Or does it matter?

Dry will keep longer than liquid, is more concentrated, and won't change color as time goes by (liquid will get darker.)

-walker

david_42 said:
Most online stores carry DME in 44-60 lb boxes, typically $2.50-$3 a pound. Not exactly cheap, but better than $10 for 3 lbs. Northern Brewer's about the best I know of, Cooper's light DME 44lbs/$110. The downside is the shipping charges. Have you tried infospace's yellow pages for a local source? Many times, your local supplier is buying from a wholesaler and the wholesaler is willing to sell direct as well.

So is $9.00 for 6lbs of extract a good deal then?

That’s what my local brew store charges their return customers. (ones who recycle the storage container and or byo).

I'm wanting to go all grain in hopes to cut cost but maybe that’s over kill. Maybe the deal I'm getting is really good after all.

Sethticlees said:
That's $1 per pound less that my LHBS gets for their generic LME...sounds like a dang good price. :)

Sethticlees said:

That’s what my local brew store charges their return customers. (ones who recycle the storage container and or byo).

I'm wanting to go all grain in hopes to cut cost but maybe that’s over kill. Maybe the deal I'm getting is really good after all.

Im not an all grain brewer yet but from what ive seen you need a lot more equipment, making your return on savings a long way out.

OtherWhiteMeat said:
Im not an all grain brewer yet but from what ive seen you need a lot more equipment, making your return on savings a long way out.

Actually, the only item you need is a cooler with a custom made spigot; if you have all the standard extract brew equipment already.
The cooler I used was an old one I found in the basement so all I ended up spending was $6.00 on my custom spigot/filter system. :cool:

Today I did my first all grain brew! :D

I did notice though the savings at my brew store must be geared more toward the extract brewers or something. I wound up paying $12.75 for 11.5lbs of grain. I'm glad to try this all grain brewing but to as for huge savings I'm just not seeing it. It would have been cheaper to go extract IMHO but I'm still hopeful... my next batch I plan to do a 15-20gal all grain brew.
This should help realize a substantial gain on my beer to dollars ratio. :)

Sethticlees said:
I did notice though the savings at my brew store must be geared more toward the extract brewers or something. I wound up paying $12.75 for 11.5lbs of grain. I'm glad to try this all grain brewing but to as for huge savings I'm just not seeing it. It would have been cheaper to go extract IMHO but I'm still hopeful
6 lbs. of DME is $20 + shipping. Even the cheapest generic LME at my LHBS is $2.50 a pound. I don't see any way you could do an extract batch cheaper than all grain, if you count only the cost of ingredients.

El Pistolero said:
6 lbs. of DME is $20 + shipping. Even the cheapest generic LME at my LHBS is $2.50 a pound. I don't see any way you could do an extract batch cheaper than all grain, if you count only the cost of ingredients.

OUCH!

I guess I have my LHBS to thank.

I ran some calculations and with purchasing in bulk from my LHBS, 40lbs LME vs. 50lbs grain, I think I can get the cost down to only a couple dollars difference between the two. This really makes me wonder...

Back