Pale Glacier Braggot is under the lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
1 gallon batch

1/2 ounce (3.5 HBUs) of Glacier (7.0%)

3# pale LME

6 cups of H2O for the boil

1.5 # mesquite honey

I pitched a single well started Red Star Montrachet on all four of the one gallon pilots I started today.

Schedule was 1 pound of LME and 1/8 oz hops with 60 minutes remaining in the boil, then repeat with 30 minutes remaining, then the third pound of LME with 15 minutes remaining. Flameout at 60 minutes, steep 1/8 oz hops for two minutes.

Strain.

Add honey to still very warm wort, stir it in, cover and let cool.

I put about two cups of cool water in the bottom of my one gallon glass fermenter. Friday this was a one gallon jug of apple juice...

Anyway, the cool water cushioned the glass from the wort. Including the yeast pitch I have about 3.5qts total liquid under lock, with another 1/8 oz Glacier in there for the primary ferment.

I did fill the fermenter in stages, cap and shake like for JAOM. Going for liquid hop candy here, the booze will be bonus.

I didn't measure :) Its pretty heavy. I found two Braggots via google that had been judged by AHA judges.

The one I started from scored 37-45points and used 25 pounds of malt and 12 pounds of honey with 1.3oz of Saaz in an eight gallon batch.

So I divided the sugar bill by eight but brought all the HBUs forward. I guess if it stalls I'll dilute and repitch, but I can wait a couple days to make that call.

Latest posts

Back