Pale Blue Dot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was listening to a recording of Carolyn Porko, an astrophysicist responsible for various space missions (she is very interesting to hear). She mentioned that she, and Carl Sagan, orchestrated the famous pale blue dot photograph. As the Voyager was leaving our solar system, and our control, she had NASA turn the craft around and take a photograph of earth as it appears from the edge of our solar system. A pale blue dot.

Look halfway down in that brown band. Earth. The green oval in the other picture is the location of the Voyager. Consider the pictures and Carl's words below. What does this mean to you?

Pale_Blue_Dot.png
300px-Voyager_blue_dot.svg.png

Carl Sagan's words:

From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known, so far, to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
-- Carl Sagan

I think it's a good reminder of how insignificant we are in comparison to the universe. While this is somewhat of a daunting thought, on the other hand, it can be comforting. All of the stresses and problems we experience everyday are put in perspective too. It reminds me to not panic too much about the little things.

I love that..... something I show in my classes every year.

I think it simultaneously makes a statement as to both our insignificance, as well as how significant it is that we are here. I think it speaks not so much to the insignificance of any of us as individuals...... I think it speaks to the insignificance of many of our "aspirations" as individuals and groups. We are extraordinarily significant in the fact that we are fortunate enough to get the opportunity to "exist" for a time. And yet, we (as individuals, groups, species) often spend a tremendous amt. of time, money, effort, etc. chasing insignificant ends.

Books, articles, videos like this make me feel lucky. They remind me to make the most of my time to enjoy what I have been given, and to help others do the same. My existence is significant because it could have just as easily never have happened. Because it is significant (at least to me) it should not be wasted chasing insignificant ends. And, chasing those insignificant ends should not result in denying others of their ability to enjoy the significance of their life.

This is a similar type perspective in some ways. Obviously better at expressing it that me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to sound dismissive, but it's not. It's amazing that we can put things into space. That there even is space. We can take pictures of it and send them back here. Truly amazing.

But it really doesn't matter. If I didn't even know there was an out there, I'd still have to feed myself and take a crap afterwards. Life would still go on right here. It doesn't change the significance of what I have to do here because I still have to do it.

To me it means yes I am insignificant but I also am significant enough to know my insignificance. This insignificance also can not deter me from trying to achieve my goals.

Even if those are world domination Pinky.

This is going to sound dismissive, but it's not. It's amazing that we can put things into space. That there even is space. We can take pictures of it and send them back here. Truly amazing.

But it really doesn't matter. If I didn't even know there was an out there, I'd still have to feed myself and take a crap afterwards. Life would still go on right here. It doesn't change the significance of what I have to do here because I still have to do it.

That's how I feel too. So, I (or Carl Sagan) point out how small the earth is. Does that mean you shouldn't bother to pay your mortgage this month? Of course not.

I'd say pay your mortgage, be a good person, and hope that your small but finite part in our society helps raise it a small but finite amount. Maybe your small but finite family adds some small but real knowledge and product to society. And maybe, just maybe, one of your lineage will view our galaxy from another galaxy some day. Neil Armstrong and Steven Hawking and Isaac Newton had fathers just like you.

So when you're relieving yourself, Zuljin, and you are having those existential thoughts about why you're here, what purpose Zuljin could possible serve as a infinitesimally brief speck on the pale blue dot, consider the awesome potential. And wash your hands when you're done, thanks.

That's how I feel too. So, I (or Carl Sagan) point out how small the earth is. Does that mean you shouldn't bother to pay your mortgage this month? Of course not.

I'd say pay your mortgage, be a good person, and hope that your small but finite part in our society helps raise it a small but finite amount. Maybe your small but finite family adds some small but real knowledge and product to society. And maybe, just maybe, one of your lineage will view our galaxy from another galaxy some day. Neil Armstrong and Steven Hawking and Isaac Newton had fathers just like you.

So when you're relieving yourself, Zuljin, and you are having those existential thoughts about why you're here, what purpose Zuljin could possible serve as a infinitesimally brief speck on the pale blue dot, consider the awesome potential. And wash your hands when you're done, thanks.

to me, this is just more evidence that we are a different form of mold on the surface of something.

It's incredible to think how simultaneously meaningful and meaningless our lives are. As much as we might accomplish in life, it won't prevent our sun from swallowing the Earth, our galaxy from colliding with the Andromeda, or any other cosmic inevitability.

We are here for a century, give or take. Humanity has only occupied the planet for a handful of tens of thousands of years. The Earth has been here for 4.5 billion years, and the universe for almost 14 billion years.

We are less than a speck in the cosmic dust, and less than a blink of an eye on the cosmic clock. But dammit, if I'm a few minutes behind schedule - MINUTES!!! - life in my tiny nook of the universe can become immensely more complex. As can anyone else's. And for what? The pale blue dot remains the same. If the pale blue dot disappeared, would it make a difference? Who/what would notice? Would such an entity care? Probably not.

The picture really makes one think. Thanks for sharing! :mug: It matters to me, now, but it might not mean a thing in a million years. Frame of reference is powerful.

It doesn't matter how many billions of years old the Earth is when the car running the red light is only milliseconds away.

It doesn't matter who outside of Earth will care when it's the person next to you who does.

Sure, I agree. But it doesn't matter 10,000 years from now what happened with that other car or what your neighbor does to your dog with his shotgun, either. But it matters to anyone dealing with the aftermath. Meaning is defined by the observer. It's kind like the old adage about a tree falling, and no one is around to hear it...

there's so much diverse life covering this mud ball. and this mud ball orbits one fire ball. there's hundreds of billions of fire balls just in one galaxy. there's an estimated 100-200 billion galaxies in the universe. it's absolutely asinine to think that out of all those galaxies, stars, and planets that we are alone in the universe. I honestly believe that somewhere, trillions of light years away, someone just committed a party foul & spilled a full beer on their friends' parents carpet.

For anyone wanting to hear more about Carolyn Porko, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and just some surprisingly fun star talk, you can listen to the StarTalk podcasts at the following link. The last couple featured Carlolyn (Madame Saturn). I listen to this podcast all the time. If you like listening to Neil, go back about 15 episodes and listen to A Conversation With God. Funny stuff, that one.

http://www.startalkradio.net/

I honestly believe that somewhere, trillions of light years away, someone just committed a party foul & spilled a full beer on their friends' parents carpet.

Not only that, but as that event occurred it was also happening on (perhaps) a thousand other plants, simultaneously. When you deal with numbers that large, very small probabilities become certainties.

I was listening to a recording of Carolyn Porko, an astrophysicist responsible for various space missions (she is very interesting to hear).

Was that the Startalk Radio podcast? I love listening to that, she was interviewed on the last two pocasts.

For those who aren't familiar, its a science for non-scientists show run by Neil DeGrasse Tyson and featuring a rotating assortment of comedian co-hosts. Trust me, its better than it sounds ;)

Edit: And now I read that PP already said all that . . .

You could think of all of those horrible things that Sagan mentioned and consider them insignificant. And int he same way, all of what we consider wonderful would be equally insignificant.

In an equal perspective, are they not equal in measure?

You're welcome! I took off the original audio and replaced it with the song you're hearing.

I don't want to get preachy or make it appear to have a hand out, but there is a non-profit organization called penny4nasa (.org). They are trying to get the budget for nasa increased to 1% of the national budget. NASA made it possible to capture the pic of the pale blue dot. If they had some decent funding just imagine what they could do next.

I have no affiliation with that org. I just think it is a good idea.

Mods: if this is a no-no please delete my post.

Pretty. Damn. Small.

Thats how it makes me feel.
Reminds me of that scene at the end of MIB where the alien has a bag full of marbles, each containing a galaxy.

On a related note, do you ever visit APOD? I have it bookmarked and check it out every day. I've saved many of the images and use them for wallpapers on my phone/computer.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Todays pic.

No, I haven't. Checking it out now :mug:

I'm not a fan of that picture above because I think two moons with opposite crescents like that are impossible - the crescents would be on the same side. Even with two suns, I don't think that image could happen.

No, I haven't. Checking it out now :mug:

I'm not a fan of that picture above because I think two moons with opposite crescents like that are impossible - the crescents would be on the same side. Even with two suns, I don't think that image could happen.

The drawings usually seem a little fantastical. My favorites are the Hubble images.

What Sagan said reminds me of what George C Scott said in Patton; The conqueror rides triumphantly into the city on his chariot, driving the day's slaves in chains before him. A boy beside him holding a velvet pillow, bearing a golden crown & whispering in his ear, a warning. That all glory, is fleeting...pretty much sums up the human condition.

Latest posts

Back