Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewers,

I haven't brewed this particular recipe since last summer. I have since made some changes and would love some feed back. Thanks in advance!

Name: Drunken Sailor
Type: Pale Ale/ IPA (I like hops!)

Mash: Infusion at 153-154*f maintained with RIMS

Eff: 65-70% (only brewed once on the new set up, still working out the kinks)

ABV: 5-5.4%
IBU: 39
OG: 1.048-1.051
FG: 1.010ish

Grain:
Two Row - 6.5lb (original - 7)
Vienna - 1.5lb (original - 2lb)
Munich Lt - 1.5lb (original - 2lb)
Honey Malt- .5lb (original - C*40)
W. Wheat - .5lb (original - same)

Hops:
Magnum - .5oz at 60min (original - centennial)
Cascade. - 1oz at 10min

Centennial - 1oz whirlpool at 165*f
Cascade. - 1oz whirlpool at 165*f

Yeast:
WLP 001 Cali Common

This will be the second brew on my new setup and is one of my original recipes. I am hoping that I can get it dialed in, because I love this one for the summer. I have a blonde on tap right now that I haven't noticed any off flavored from the electric brewing process, so I am ready to try one of my favorite recipes!

You say that you love this one for summer, but is there anything that you don't love about it?

My original thought was that you're going to get definite some bready/nutty flavor from your quantities of Munich and Vienna malt, but then I saw that you scaled back from your previous batch. So you may not be imparting too much.

Personally, I dry hop all of my pale ales and for this recipe I would toss in an ounce each of Cascade and Centennial 5 days before kegging, or you could try dry hopping in the keg. (I bottle, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of keg hopping.)

Maybe what I will do is dry hop the keg and nothing for bottling. I usually split the batch when it comes to packaging it. Half goes into one my 2.5 gal kegs and the rest gets bottled around 2-2.5gal. I haven't tried the dry hop keg yet, but maybe this is the perfect chance. Noted! Thanks!

Right on. Let me know how it turns out.

Also, I wanted to point out that we're neighbors! While my mailing address is Cedar, I'm only 5 minutes from TC but 20 minutes from Cedar.

.5 lb of honey malt is on the top end of usage IMO and I like a sweeter beer. I use .25lbs in some 5 gal recipes and definitely notice it. Maybe .25 c40 and .25 honey?

Right on. Let me know how it turns out.

Also, I wanted to point out that we're neighbors! While my mailing address is Cedar, I'm only 5 minutes from TC but 20 minutes from Cedar.

That's awesome! I would say it's a small world, but I know there is a lot of Michigan Members on here. Not much to do in the winter time besides drink beer!

Jimbodaman,

I feel ya with the grain bill. The last time I made it with C*40 it was just a little sweet, but I have brewed it with Honey Malt before and it wasn't over powering. I have switch to the Honey malt in my IPA's too. I like the color it gives and the sweetness isn't as strong as crystal malts.

Back