Pale ale w/honey malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareaglefan23

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to brew an American pale ale. I want a medium bitterness, strong fruity character with the sweeter malt backbone to balance well. I was thinking

1.056 OG (1.010 FG Target)
49% Pilsner malt (1-2SRM)
49% Light Munich (6-8SRM)
2% Honey malt
35-45 IBUs
Hops used will be dependent on the best quality I can find on brew day that fits the profile (mosaic, NZ Hops, citra, el dorado, maybe belma)

I wanted to have a clean, sweeter base without using crystal malts (except honey if you count that)

Minimal yeast character, WLP001 as baseline. Strong starter- I don't want this to stall out at 1.018.

Thoughts?

That looks pretty good. I think it will have a clean mild malt flavor with a touch of sweetness, of course somewhat depending on the hops used. I usually use a little Vienna and aromatic and would scale back the light Munich. Just a thought.

You can't go wrong with Mosaic and the new NZ hops should be arriving soon. Lots of good choices there.

Good luck with it and please post your results.

I'm not sure if pilsner/munich is going to give you clean and sweet. If you want to stick with pils/munich then I would up the honey malt to 5%. I've used it at 2% and its not noticeable if you have other flavors in (like a bunch of hops). Take a look at golden promise malt, it may be what you're looking for https://www.morebeer.com/products/simpsons-golden-promise-malt.html I think 70% of that, 25% maris otter and 5% honey malt will get you where you want to be

50/50 pils/munich is basically an oktoberfest, so it'll be really malty. The 2% honey malt is negligible IMO, especially if its going to be strongly hopped

I used a half pound in an IPA I did a couple months ago. Came out amazing! Best IPA I have ever drank. The honey malt accentuates the juicy hop profile that I was using... Makes it seem like the hop flavors and aromas are more pronounced. Still have it on tap. However the initial flavor/aroma is down but the bitterness is nicely balanced by the honey malt. Definitely give it a try.

Latest posts

Back