Pale Ale tasted great until it was bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themack22

Reaction score
This is a confusing one for me. The beer my buddy and I brewed tasted awesome after fermentation. Very light, crisp and hoppy. Think Sierra Nevad/Founder's All Day IPA.

Came in around 5%.

Do you think the yeast going back to work during bottle conditioning caused them to put off some off-flavors?

1 Lbs Amber Dry Extract
6 Lbs Gold Malt LME

1 oz. Mosaic Hops
2 oz. Cascade

American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

They conditioned for a week. It's been two weeks since. I think I'll try another and see how it tastes.

Room temp.

What's wrong with the flavor? Also, did you condition one week, then throw them in the fridge. I tend to do things on the quick side myself, but 1 week of bottle conditioning probably is not enough. You can get some weird flavors in the bottle after a week that will go away 1-2 weeks later. I frequently find that when I try a bottle at 4 days I'm in love, but at 8 days there's something 'off'. Then at 2 weeks, the beer's right where I want it.

The flavor is really astringent. Reminds me of one of the first homebrews I did that was just awful. Almost like there were grains steeped at too high of a temperature, but we did not use specialty grains.

1 week of bottle conditioning, then the fridge. We have some that haven't hit the fridge yet. I'll try one today.

One week is just too quick, imo. I've gotten that grainy taste before (especially with Warminster's floor-malted maris otter), and cold conditioning helps with it some. But, since it sounds like yours is an extract brew, I think you need more warm conditioning.

1 week is way too quick. Let them sit at room temp for 3 weeks. Try one every couple of days until they taste good.

Latest posts

Back