Pale Ale recipe...what do you guys think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hooch Pale Ale:

The name comes from me living by the Chattahoochie River...not high alcoholic drinks. Anyway, what do you guys think..what should I change? I would like the hop aroma to be very present but not mask the malt. I went with Pearle as the bittering because thats what Sierra Nevada uses and I love SN.

Recipe: Hooch Pale Ale
Brewer: John Anderson
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
2 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

personally i did Edworts Pale Ale and dryhopped with cascade, and after a month in bottle its pure heaven. I would try that or add at flameout. Either way its gonna be hoppy. Maybe cutout the 5 minute and swap for flamout addition. It looks like a solid recipe though.

I would do a Cascade dry hop as well, other than that, looks pretty good to me. Looks quite close to SNPA.

I might leave out the Carapils, and just go with the 2-row and the crystal. The crystal should be enough to help with the head retention.

Edit: On second thought, just leave it in. I like a nice, lingering head.

Ryan is right no matter what he says! :D You can leave the CaraPils in and do a single-infusion, or you could save it for something else and add a protein rest at ~122. There is plenty of foam-enhancing stuff in well-modified 2-row - so long as you get at it!

Bob

reminds me of a song...

"Way down yonder on the Chattahoochee
It gets hotter than a hoochie coochie"

lol, good recipe. I'd go for it.

Hey, nub, do you like Sweetwater IPA? I don't know why, but this thread reminded me of it. I might borrow your recipe but swap out the perle for simcoe as well as dry hopping the cascade and simcoe.

Love the Perle/Cascade combo...It's very much like Northern Brewer/Cascade ala Anchor Liberty.

Back