Pale Ale Extract with Grains Recipe Using Comet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackQueenBrews

Reaction score
:hops::hops:Greetings All!

Now that I have time on my hands since I’m working remotely, I’m trying to get back into small batch homebrewing.

A friend of mine shared some whole leaf Comet hops with me and I’m trying to come up with a simple 2-3 gallon extract with speciality grains recipe using these hops.

Any help I can get for a jumping off point with a recipe would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, stay safe, and be well!

:mug:

Start with the lightest color extract you have available. That would be the blank canvas if you were an artist and it allows you the most control of the flavors of your beer. To that I like to add some sweetness which I would get from steeping some Caramel malt. Which Caramel malt is up to you. For some pale ales I would add C-10 or C-20 which would keep the color light and be closer to what is called a pale ale. However, sometimes I like the flavor contributed by the darker Caramel malts and while it isn't to style, I don't care because I brew to my palate, not to be in a competetion, so I might add a bit of C-120 (darker color but flavorful). I would not add Carapils because most extract already has that in its composition.

Now for the recipe part, there is a section on HomeBrewTalk that is just recipes. You'll find it in the black bar at the top of each page. From there you would look for the box with the label on its left side that says "Filter by style" and choose American Pale Ale. It appears there are less than 100 recipes to choose from, many of which are for extract although some have recipes for all grain or extract. Have fun!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/homebrew-ale-recipes.62/?prefix_id=70

Back