Pair of True Mfg. Refrigerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatrickwah

Sponsor
Reaction score
I just picked up 2 True Mfg. Refrigerators, the same kind you see in quik-e-marts and more. One of them even had Sobe painted on the side. I picked them up for a song, knowing they worked but didn't work. The fans all work on these guys.
The big guy (RC Cola) seems to have two problems, one being the thermostat doesn't work (no big deal, planned on installing a PID anyway) but the bigger issue is that even with the thermostat by-passed the compressor doesn't seem to get the refrigerator cold. I let the unit run for an hour and all I succeeded in doing was warming up the garage and the inside of the fridge. I'm wondering if the freon pressure is to low and that is why it isn't working at this point or if there is another issue.
The little fridge meanwhile has a different issue, the little guy turns on no problem, all the fans work, but the compressor just clicks, it doesn't come on. There is one portion of the condensor coil, on the side, that has been squished to a point that might not allow freon to flow. I'm wandering if this could be the issue or if it could be the compressor relay. I'm hoping there are a few refrigerator gurus here that can help. I'm hoping someone can help me here before I go and contact a refrigeration repair guy.
BrewConst-19.jpg

I was thinking about a glass-door refridgerator also but none showed up on Craigslist.

How much did you pay for each one?

Not sure yet, haven't fixed them yet. Picked up the refers for nothing, but I suspect repairs will run a couple hundred. I picked these up from a guy who plowed them into 3 feet of snow and I just tested to make sure the electronics were decent.

Back