Pail Kettle Tipper for batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbous_blues

Reaction score
Hi

I was trying to think of a way of making my batch sparging easier, lifting a kettle of hot water is awkward and not to mention dangerous. I was wondering if anyone has used or built anything like this?

https://materialflow.com/p/Pail-Tipper

Or would it be better to invest in a pump? Can you batch sparge with a pump?

pail-tipper5956-.gif

I don't quite get what you plan , but yes you can batch sparge with a pump. My pump was the best brew day investment I ever made.

Hi

I was going to make another tipper to tip into that tipper ha nah

I thought of just making a simple tipper that would fit my HLT I was just showing the link as an example, anyhow that may even fit some smaller pots.

They make tipper for larger pots for soap making but they are incredibly expensive

..... lifting a kettle of hot water is awkward and not to mention dangerous.....

Easiest and cheapest simple solution is to move your sparge water a gallon at a time with a one gallon pitcher.

Incredibly simple and cheap, works great and takes only a few seconds / minutes depending on batch size. Even for larger batches, moving 10 gallons is not difficult at all if the pots are adjacent to each other.

^^^^This or set up to gravity feed from your HLT into your MLT.
How are you getting your strike water into your tun?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok well it seems a pump would be a good investment eventually, i could use it to wirlpool aswell.

At the moment i lift the HLT water and all and pour it in lol

Next time i'll just use a jug i guess. Still i do have some scrap metal and wood laying about so building a tipper wouldn't be hard but now i see maybe overkill

Even with a tipper you would have to get the pot above the mash tun. Why not just use a ball valve and simplify it.

At the very minimum get a ball valve (SS) as LordUlrich suggested & use a one gallon pitcher for your transfers. Otherwise, you're a scalding accident looking for a place to happen!

Even with a tipper you would have to get the pot above the mash tun. Why not just use a ball valve and simplify it.

Yes!
See the discharge height of the references tipper is listed as only 10".
NG

For anything up to say 10 gallon batches, I still feel the gallon pitcher is a viable solution.

Using gravity puts the HLT inconveniently high, and using a pump still involves hooking and unhooking hoses. For what, to move a few gallons of water that takes all of 30 seconds???

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back