P38i pump setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Buying a pump for even mash temps.Can I just rig up something to hang the pump on.(Hanging soap dish comes to mind)Then run one side to the bottom of the pot and the other side inside the mash bag using high temp silicone tubing.Quick simple and easy??What size wire would go to battery? is there a cheap power source that can be wired in,instead of dragging out a battery?

You really want to have the pump lower than the bottom of the kettle since they are not self priming and can not be run dry. I am sorta working on the same project now, but slowly...

You really want to have the pump lower than the bottom of the kettle since they are not self priming and can not be run dry. I am sorta working on the same project now, but slowly...
will do on the lower than pot setup.I was thinkin this was the 5 minute after thought addition??

Are you talking about the little tan 12/24 volt pump? If so, you won't be able to run it on 120v, you will need to use a power adapter. Laptop chargers are a good place to start looking, ideally one with at least a 2 amp output

Are you talking about the little tan 12/24 volt pump? If so, you won't be able to run it on 120v, you will need to use a power adapter. Laptop chargers are a good place to start looking, ideally one with at least a 2 amp output

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reliable-0-...645?hash=item27c778ab15:g:K08AAOxyx0JTfuIWYes that's the pump.So if I can dig up an old laptop charger how does it get wired up.Cut the plug off on the side that goes into computer and wire that to the pump?

Once you find an a adapter that outputs 12v at an acceptable amperage you cut off the end that would plug into the laptop. One of the wires will usually have a white stripes on it while the other is pure black. Connect the striped wire to the black one coming off the pump, and the plain black to pumps red. Make sure the pump is connected to the kettle and full of liquid before you plug it into the wall, these pumps don't like being run dry

Once you find an a adapter that outputs 12v at an acceptable amperage you cut off the end that would plug into the laptop. One of the wires will usually have a white stripes on it while the other is pure black. Connect the striped wire to the black one coming off the pump, and the plain black to pumps red. Make sure the pump is connected to the kettle and full of liquid before you plug it into the wall, these pumps don't like being run dry
Perfect.Thanks

Get a three amp or better LED strip switcher off of e-bay or Amazon for $9. The three amp ones are not plug in and can also run a cooling fan for a SSR or SSVR .. For your electric elements when you get there...

So my pump came early.I dug up this old laptop charger.It looks like 1.5 amps.Will it work?I would have tossed it so Im not to concerned about cutting it up.Not worried about adding things to it.It will just be for the pump. What size ID OD tubing are people using for this?

laptop charger.jpg

I developed a "suck start" system for recirculating through the bag on BIAB last year. The system worked very well, but the bag would tend clog up due to the circulation through it. It used a 12 volt pump, and copper pipe that went over the edge of the pot to the bottom where it was under a false bottom to keep the bag out of the suction line. The copper pipe was 1/2" and had an L on the end inside the pot. It went up to the upper edge, where there were two elbows and a very short piece joining them with vertical piece going down directly into the pump. A flexible hose returned the wort. Circulation was started by starting the pump, and sucking on the end of the hose briefly.... not even long enough to get a mouthful of wort / water, just enough to get wort down to the pump.... basically starting a siphon.

Sanitation is not an issue obviously during the mash, as you are boiling afterward, though this was one of the first criticisms absurd though it was.

The object was to be able to circulate past a thermocouple connected to a PID controller running an ordinary hot plate for positive mash control. It all worked quite well except for clogging the fabric in the bag making it more difficult to drain........(stuck mash).

I've been day dreaming about in bag circulation systems where the motor, perhaps just an electric mixer power head, would be above the mash tun driving an impeller inside a tube. The impeller would be a simple thing like a propeller, and it would push liquid down in the center of the bag, drawing from just below the surface. This would eliminate bag clogging as well as providing excellent circulation and a constantly moving stream of wort past the thermocouple. it would be used along with a hot plate and a PID controller.

That said, I no longer mash in a bag........ I use the bag only as a filter, pouring my mash into a bag in a colander. It works better for me. Your mileage may vary.

H.W.

Try the 12v one, as long as it can get the pump started it should work just fine. There is always a chance it can't handle the startup load but you aren't losing anything by trying. Decent odds that 19v charger will smoke the pump

That supply puts out 3.42 Amps so should be OK unless the 19V fries the 12V pump. You'd be better off with a 12VDC supply.

or the 24v pump...

I own 3 12v and 3 24v versions of these and the 24v ones are stronger and pump faster...
I mount them directly to my kettle ballvalves with camlocks and have have no issues in 3 years..
I will say you are asking for failure with the cheap wall wort style power supplies. They have a very high failure rate which many blame on the pumps.
for 12v you want at least 1.5 amps regardless of the lower advertised specs and 2 amps for the 24v versions... I just bought one 7 amp suplly that I use in my control panel with 3 $5 pwm speed controllers and switched to control the speed of my 3 pumps which I leave permanently pumped in...(wort easily flows in either direction through them when turned off.) this allows me to not have to mess with disconnecting any hoses while brewing.

PROPER FILTRATION is key with these... thats why I use a bazooka screen under my false bottom...

Back