oxygenation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
I did a search on oxygenation problems but couldn't find anything specific. I definitely oxygenized my beer at bottling time. I was straining with a paint strainer into the bottling bucket. I left the room and came back to find half of the strainer exposed to air. Air was being sucked in through the strainer big time. I went ahead and bottled. I opened one after a week and foam poured out and continued to pour out. I have been at this hobby for two years now and this is my first "Is my beer ruined?" post. Is it ruined?:) and do I have any options at this point?

That's not a result of oxygentaion...Oxygenation is a taste or aroma, not a gushing.

This is oxygenation;
CHARACTERISTICS: Cardboard, paper, wet paper, sherry-like, rotten fruit, garbage are all characteristics of oxidation, perceived both as an aroma and a flavor.

The gushing is because you opened the beer after one week....

Read this and watch the video...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Revvy. Thanks for the info. The reason I asked the question is that this is the first time in 20 brews or so that this has happened. During my first year of brewing I cracked open a bottle after one week, two weeks, etc and made notes on the taste and development. I never had a gusher in any of those. The only reason that I opened this one was to see if flooding the bottling bucket with air did anything to the beer. I now usually wait 4 weeks or so to open one up. Anyway I hope that you are right and the excess air won't affect the final product.

Revvy. Thanks for the info. The reason I asked the question is that this is the first time in 20 brews or so that this has happened. During my first year of brewing I cracked open a bottle after one week, two weeks, etc and made notes on the taste and development. I never had a gusher in any of those. The only reason that I opened this one was to see if flooding the bottling bucket with air did anything to the beer. I now usually wait 4 weeks or so to open one up. Anyway I hope that you are right and the excess air won't affect the final product.

You wouldn't notice the oxydation taste in the beer immediately anyway, it usually develops down the line.

Somewhere, I think it was basic brewing radio, they talked about oxigenation of beer NOT being that easy to actually happen....Like it takes a major amount of mishandling to actually do enough damage (like seriously whipping a fermenter full of beer into a major froth, or literraly pumping O2 into the beer) before it would be noticeable...

I believe the consensus was that normal brewing "accidents" actually don't produce enough to really affect our beers, that it's another thing to rdwhahb about....

Back