Oxygenate white wine must?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastluvr

Reaction score
I have brewed many different wines over the last 3-4 years but this is my first attempt at white grape wine. I picked, crushed and strained 100 pounds of grapes to get 6 gallons of juice from a white wine grape called siegerrebe. It took 36 hours to get the ferment barely started with cotes de blanc yeast. I think it may have something to do with excess sulphur spray on the grapes as it didn't rain in Washington for the past 2 months and I could smell a slight sulfur smell to them.

I dont have an oxygen stone, just a wire whisk. Should I try to add some oxygen for the first couple days of the ferment or is there any benefit/disadvatage to this.

yeastluvr said:
I have brewed many different wines over the last 3-4 years but this is my first attempt at white grape wine. I picked, crushed and strained 100 pounds of grapes to get 6 gallons of juice from a white wine grape called siegerrebe. It took 36 hours to get the ferment barely started with cotes de blanc yeast. I think it may have something to do with excess sulphur spray on the grapes as it didn't rain in Washington for the past 2 months and I could smell a slight sulfur smell to them.

I dont have an oxygen stone, just a wire whisk. Should I try to add some oxygen for the first couple days of the ferment or is there any benefit/disadvatage to this.

I would just stir it. You won't benefit from introducing large amounts of air into your must.

Add some yeast nutrient if you already haven't done so.

I to do not oxygenate white wine must.

novalou is right to just add a yeast nutrient.

White wines can suffer from excess aeration/oxidation of the must causing browning of the wine later on, unless that is the "style" you are shooting for.

Did you use a starter? Also check the temperature.

Toying with the must during fermentation is just opening the door for bacteria.

Latest posts

Back