Oxygen Stone Tank Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadS

Reaction score
Hi all, I purchased an oxygen stone from Northern Brewer awhile back and have been using disposable oxygen tanks which I burn through very quickly. I have an actual D tank oxygen cylinder that I would like to use instead. Any ideas on how to use that that larger tank with the wand instead of the disposable ones? Do I need a converter or anything?

Thank you!

"D" tank sounds to me like a medical O2 tank, which can require different hardware than welding tanks. Most online homebrew stores sell O2 regulators that work with the standard welding type tanks. They look like this...

19142.jpg

Some medical tanks need a different regulator, that looks like this...
102010421030-21025-400_300.jpg

You can get a medical regulator on Amazon or Ebay for around $20. You don't need a regulator that can flow greater than 4lpm. That puts you in the cheap range. If the tank is full it will last you years. If it is not full you have a problem, you have to have a prescription to fill it.

I did a buncha research on this recently but YMMV...
Call your local welding supply shop to confirm..... But I called mine and they said they can slap a sticker on a medical tank designating it as "industrial" but not the other way around.
Nobody near me fills medical as "medical" without a prescription.
to fill a medical tank, as industrial, they need a CGA540 valve, then they can connect ...you can get a Sherwood cga540 valve to convert it on Amazon for $29.
Also get a pediatric oxygen regulator with CGA540 connector..should run about $20...you need pediatric to get down between 0-1Liter per min...flow regulator is much better than pressure regulator for what you're doing!
I was gonna hack up my aquarium pump aeration setup soon and go this route...planning to keep my sterile hepa filter in place in the tubing since there's no requirement for them to purge industrial tanks when prior to filling like when they fill medical...so I don't wanna get a swap with some residual nastiness...being way too paranoid I know ..but hey I've already got it so it's peace of mind that doesn't cost me anything...
oh also...I'm not sure if my local store will swap me or make me wait for a fill ...sometimes they go either way depending on their inventory...

Back