Oxygen in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VictimKBrew

Reaction score
I didn't bleed out the excess oxygen when I poured my batch into the keg and sealed it. What effect does oxygenation have on the beer and its taste?

Its taken almost a month to get properly carbed and I can really taste straight alchohol. (Could be multiple factors I'm sure)

If he pressurized with the o2 in there though wouldn't that force the o2 into the beer, or is the volume of o2 in the head space, while bad form, negligible in the long run?

How much head space did you leave in there?

Drink it fast. Oxygen effects take a while to harm the beer. You'll notice a cardboard taste if it gets to that point.

I believe the unabsorbed CO2 will settle above the beer and any O2 will be hover above it and not effect the beer...so long as it doesn't get shaken up.

I believe the unabsorbed CO2 will settle above the beer and any O2 will be hover above it and not effect the beer...so long as it doesn't get shaken up.

purge it now, re-pressurize to serving psi.
no worries
drink more

Back