Oxyclean white haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
Ive seen a few topics on this, but would like to hear some more opinions.

I soaked some bottles in an off brand oxyclean to get the labels off. I left them in a couple of hours but may have used too much oxyclean. I also think I have fairly hard water. All the bottles came out covered in powdery white stuff, inside and out.

After looking through some threads I put them in a vinegar solution, and left them until they appeared clear, which was about 24 hours. I took them out, rinsed real good and allowed to dry.

Now that I am looking at them some still have a haze inside. Isnt real noticeable, but when I look close inside I can definately see some haze.

Are these safe to use? I am running low on bottles and really need these to bottle in a day or two.

I have that issue when I forget a batch and soak the bottles too long. I usually immerse the bottles in left over star san and let them soak for a few hours. Hit them with a bottle brush, rinse and store.

a starsan or diluted vineger rinse generally works for me.

if its a stubborn haze, I'll scrub the outside with a sponge in the solution and bottle brush the inside.

The haze is mineral deposit. Like the hard water stains you get in your tub. Like others have said, any weak acid will eat up these minerals and leave you shiny. Starsan, vinegar, etc....any weak acid will do.

Yep, just drain the oxyclean and then fill back up with water and a bit of vinegar.

I just soak in plain water with good results most of the time. The foil type labels give me the most problems. Just give them a good soak. Be patient.

Back