Oxyclean residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billvon

Reaction score
Had to wash some bottles/get the labels off for a bottling run, so I filled a largish cooler with warm water, added a scoop of Oxyclean free and dunked the bottles in. I let it sit overnight. The next morning the labels came off easily but there was a gritty residue both inside and outside the bottles.

Anyone else experience this? Is this due to too much/too little Oxyclean? Is hard water a contributor?

I have never had a gritty residue when using oxiclean, my only guess was that it was overly saturated and did not all dissolve. rinse very well......

I would guess too much oxyclean. I use 3 oz. in a 5 gallon bucket and it's just enough to get the labels off without causing any funky haze on the bottles.

The first time I used Oxyclean I had the same problem. I used well water that was only about 50 degrees and used way too much Oxyclean. I used a weak vinegar solution in hot water and it came right off. Now I use hot water and much less Oxyclean and it works very well.

I've got to go with the folks that say too much Oxiclean. You don't need that much, and in this case you can have too much of a good thing.

Back