OxyClean Free vs PBW for bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
OxyClean is less expensive, but is it as effective? Which do you use when cleaning bottles and why?

Or, do you use something else?

People swear by PBW, so I have no doubt it is a good product. I personally have always and only ever used oxyclean free (and usually the dollar store version). I use it for everything brewing related and have zero complaints. I always rinse really well too though. My bottles are usually rinsed well as soon as I pour the beer out, so my cleaning regimen on bottling day is kind of a formality. (I built a sweet bottle washer, so I kinda have to use it. )

Starsan is another story. There is just no substitute for that one.

I've only ever used oxyclean in twelve years without any complaints. You can have some residue build up if your water is hard but it will rinse out with an acid. If that's an issue then PBW is a better route.

I tried both a lot back in the day. These days I only use PBW, which works better for me.

I have had issues with Oxyclean. There are plenty of people have never had any issues with the product.

PBW is supposed to be so expensive. I like to save p a few bucks as much as anybody else. However, I am a right tool for the job kind guy. At some point aggravation cones at a cost as well. So I did the math, using PBW costs me an extra dollar per brew day.

If you want the best of both worlds, there are threads about mixing up your own PBW. One major ingredient is Oxyclean. I have read them, I still buy PBW. It is what I know and trust. But I am just one opinion.

I only use PBW if there is dried material I can see inside the bottles. But I'm real careful with my homebrew bottles, I rinse them with hot water right away after the beer is poured, and each one is given a thorough visual inspection on bottling day. If some PBW doesn't get them clean, I toss them.

I use Dollar General faux Oxy Clean mixed with some Red Devil TSP substitute.
I clean bottles, kegs, funnels and everything else with it.
Seems to work fine.
I have never bought real PBW so I can't say it is just as good, just that it is good enough.

I tried both a lot back in the day. These days I only use PBW, which works better for me.

Same here, PBW seems to work better and rinse without any residue. I've also made my own PBW a few times and it works well but it clumps easily. So despite the price I usually just go with the store bought version

I’ve Ben using OxyClean for 10 years ... bottles, kegs, goopy primary fermenters. Mix it with hot water and let it soak for a few hours. Rinse, rinse, rinse with hot water then Star San and you’re gold.

For cleaning, I've soaked bottles and other equipment in laundry detergent. They are going to be rinsed and sanitized any way... right? Tide Free to be specific, but only because that is what my wife uses for clothes.

Oxyclean works too and I've used it, especially when mildew or mold might be suspected. PBW would be great, but I'd have to buy a ton of it to make it significantly cheaper than laundry detergent or Oxyclean that are going to be at my house already.

I normally use Oxyclean Free (to avoid the scented stuff) but have had trouble recently finding it in the west suburban Chicago area. Anybody have any similar issues?

I normally use Oxyclean Free (to avoid the scented stuff) but have had trouble recently finding it in the west suburban Chicago area. Anybody have any similar issues?

In Virginia...I just recently picked up a tub at Target. I did not see it at my local Walmart last time I was there. Amazon is another option.

I always look for it at Kroger or Aldi when I go to either.

Do you get the Kroger branded one? It's usually under $4 for a 3 lb tub for me... sometime on sale for $2.99
Ralphs is our local Kroger owned supermarket, and not all of them carry the kroger branded oxygen cleaner...
But larger ones usuaslly have it.

The DIY PBW thread looks at the ingredients listed in MSDS from FiveStar...
https://www.piwine.com/media/Products/Safety-Data-Sheets/SDS-PROFESSIONAL-BREWERS-WASH.pdf
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/homemade-pbw-recipe.467655/
The main active ingredients are Sodium Carbonate, Sodium percarbonate, and Sodium metasilicate...
The first two are the ingredients of oxiclean, the last is TSP90...

PBW also has other stuff, too, if I recall... Surfactants, and chelators, etc. So it probably is measurably "better" for
some metric of "better", but oxiclean + TSP90 ... or even just plain oxiclean (generic) hits the price/performance
balance for a lot of us...

Last edited:
Back