Oxyclean + Aluminum = Reaction!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Restaurants use stainless steel for the durability factor ONLY. Do you really think they give a hoot about you getting Altzheimer's or not 50 years down the road?
Besides, if there was any kind of definative evidence that Aluminum contributed to the disease, don't you think the Government would have banned it's use by now?

Go ahead and use your Aluminum pot and enjoy your beer.

nkonkie said:
Just as in food, presentation is an important part too. When people look at ugly oxidized aluminum pots of a brewer or the nice shiny looking stainless steel of another brewer who are they going to think is serious and who will they think brews in the bathtub. Who are they going to think brews in clean sanitary conditions and who will they think brews in nasty unsanitary conditions.

Sounds a bit...vain. No offense, but brewing is not like restaurant presentation. Yeah, if a friend happens to come down to you basement and see that you store your pots in raw sewage, he might think twice about drinking your beer...but really, dude, come on. If you make good beer, who in their right mind is gonna question what you're doing in the brewhouse, as long as it's not overtly disgusting? And correct me if I'm wrong, but who would consider tarnish on the inside of a kettle "overtly disgusting"? It's not as if you're a public brewpub where everyone is watching what you're doing. And even if they were...do you really think anyone, anyone, is gonna look at your aluminum pot and say "oh, look, the inside of his aluminum pot has a light gray tarnish...he must not be serious!" ? :drunk:

You defy logic. This isn't a beauty contest. I keep my brewhouse clean, and I keep everything that touches my beer post-boil sanitized, religiously. But I don't do any of that in some vain attempt at impressing the friends who come down to see my brew op. I do it because I run a tight ship, and I like to make good beer.

No, no, the brewhouse is nothing like restaurant dish prep. Restaurant dish prep is the final product looking good. The parallel here is the finished beer. And as long as the finished beer is good (or great), I really don't think anyone is going to go traipsing down to your brewhouse and complain about the tarnish on the inside of your pot. I mean...come on! :rolleyes:

Evan! said:
Sounds a bit...vain. :

Just my opinion dude

How can you hope to be a real EAC if you don't take pride in your equipment.

I'm not trying to throw off on your stuff Evan and I feel differently about aluminum after reading the posts on this tread. I'm not quite as concerned about the health effects as I used to be.

I'm here to learn like most folks and want others opinions whether I take their advise or not.

That being said I don't regret going stainless

Think of it this way if you see a nice shiny good looking car and a beat up one which would you think was better maintained?

I know you have to maintain sanitary conditions but everyone doesn't know that

And I'm pretty sure you want your equipment to look nice or you probably wouldn't have scrubed your pot with most everyone advising you not to.

Like I said just my opinion but from what I read of this post you aren't the one with dingy looking pots.

nkonkie said:
Just my opinion dude

How can you hope to be a real EAC if you don't take pride in your equipment.

I'm not trying to throw off on your stuff Evan and I feel differently about aluminum after reading the posts on this tread. I'm not quite as concerned about the health effects as I used to be.

I'm here to learn like most folks and want others opinions whether I take their advise or not.

That being said I don't regret going stainless

Think of it this way if you see a nice shiny good looking car and a beat up one which would you think was better maintained?

I know you have to maintain sanitary conditions but everyone doesn't know that

And I'm pretty sure you want your equipment to look nice or you probably wouldn't have scrubed your pot with most everyone advising you not to.

Like I said just my opinion but from what I read of this post you aren't the one with dingy looking pots.

Actually, I wasn't concerned about how my equipment looked, per se, but more about how it performed. I was most worried that tarnishing would have an effect on my beer...not whether someone would come down and see it. Hell, the bottom of my pots aren't exactly spotless. Do I care? Not a bit. I try to get as much out with PBW as I can, just so that no burned flavors get in my beer. But that's it.

As for the "shiny car" analogy...well...again, my brewing equipment isn't on display. I take my car out and drive it around. Lots and lots of people see it. That having been said, if I had a "homebrew" TV show and people were watching me do my thing, then I'd be a little more concerned with the appearance of my brew kettles. But as far as I can see, I don't think I'll be starring in any teevee shows any time soon. :D

The way I see it, I still haven't achieve true greatness with my finished product...you know, the beer. I have way, way too many things to concentrate on in order to make my beer better. Until I do that, I'm not really concerning myself with the shininess of my equipment. I keep it clean. I keep it sanitized. Anything beyond that...well...to go back to your car analogy, it'd be like those doofuses that keep everything under the car hood polished and sparkling. I keep my car clean...but not the engine parts. :D

i could care less what mine or any other persons equipment looks like. my question is - how good of a beer can you produce.

nkonkie nor any detractors of aluminum usage in brewing have yet to produce any scientific data to support their theories. and now i see that we've boiled the ox down to the "shiney presentation" argument. yet there is a ton of evidence that aluminum won't give you alz, nor is brewing with it going to give you an off taste, grow hair on your palms or make you go blind.

sure he points out as others that in high doses it is toxic. dude i can ingest too much water and kill myself. water being the life sustaining liquid that you can't do without. just about everything is toxic in high doses.

bump for page 8 :rockin:

brewhead said:
i could care less what mine or any other persons equipment looks like. my question is - how good of a beer can you produce.

nkonkie nor any detractors of aluminum usage in brewing have yet to produce any scientific data to support their theories. and now i see that we've boiled the ox down to the "shiney presentation" argument. yet there is a ton of evidence that aluminum won't give you alz, nor is brewing with it going to give you an off taste, grow hair on your palms or make you go blind.

sure he points out as others that in high doses it is toxic. dude i can ingest too much water and kill myself. water being the life sustaining liquid that you can't do without. just about everything is toxic in high doses.

bump for page 8 :rockin:

Dude, I know...I've honestly never heard of someone being concerned about how shiny their kettle is. But, hey, at least nkonkle has listened to you guys a little---he said it himself that his mind has been changed about using aluminum. So, consider that a success, and I guess it can't hurt to let him save some face .

damnit does this mean we won't reach page 8 heaven? <kicks can> shucks

Hey guys

I was trying to pass along info I thought would help people including you Evan by pointing out to you that your kettle had oxidized when you asked what had happened

I am truly sorry that I bothered

Back