Oxidizing/Seasoning Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felixio

Reaction score
I just picked up a 40qt aluminum stock pot to make the move to full boil batches. I understand that I need to boil water in this pot to the point that it's almost full to create a layer of oxidation so my beer doesn't take on an metallic taste. My question is, should I add sugar and acid to the water to simulate wort? If I fill up to an inch or so under the lip will there be a one inch piece that is not oxidized, and will that cause me trouble in the future?

Agreed. Just fill it up with plain water and boil for an hour. at that point, you are good to go.

Just use plain 'ol water. Boil for about an hour or so and you should be good.
This.

And I wouldn't worry too much about filling it up that close to the lip. You really only need an oxide layer on the part of your brew kettle that will come into prolonged contact with the wort. I have a 10-gal aluminum kettle and I seasoned it by boiling about 6-7 gallons of water - a little more than my typical preboil volume.

I wasn't aware of this with my first pot and never did it. Question: does it matter now that I've been brewing with it for 6 mo? I have never noticed any foul taste and assume it to be oxidized by now?

Back