Oxiclean problem. Not found in search.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguy898

Reaction score
In the search results, all I can find about a film or residue left by Oxiclean is 'White Film' but that's not what I'm getting.:confused:
After cleaning a carboy with oxiclean this evening it left an 'oily' kinda watermark film on the glass that I can not remove no matter how much I rinse it. Ya' know, it looks like an oil/petroleum/gasoline kind of multicolored appearance. Is this normal in a glass carboy?

Also, I was going to brew up a batch tonight, but realized I was missing something so I didn't, but since I had a free evening I went ahead and cleaned everything with oxiclean as the cleanser, and then sealed everything up in the buckets, but didn't sanitize it. Is it okay to Cleanse my equipment now, and then just sanitize and use next week?

Thanks!
Jonas

1) Yes, if you are talking about the rainbow / prism effect. It's part of the glass structure.

2) Yes

1) Yes, if you are talking about the rainbow / prism effect. It's part of the glass structure.

It didn't have that before the oxiclean, and my FOUR OTHER carboy's don't have it right now either. Just the oxicleaned one.

Maybe it's just cleaner now than the others. Oxiclean works well and should not leave a film unless an oxidized layer. A quick hit with vinegar will take care of that.

Not sure what you're seeing but FWIW, the typical cleaners used (Oxiclean Free or PBW) do not cut grease/oil very well. Since we usually don't have much grease/oil in our beer that usually isn't a problem. But if you do somehow have grease/oil it would probably be better to degrease it first using something like dish soap; then rinse it very, very well; then proceed with Oxi/PBW like normal.

Back