Overly agressive US-05 : normal ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MXDXD

Reaction score
Hi.

Last sunday (October 12) I brewed what was supposed to be a Blonde Ale. Actually, it's a 2-Row/Sterling Smash. It turned out I overshooted gravity by quite a bit, and ended up with an OG of 1.054, after adding quite a bit of water during the boil (that is, 250 ml, which is quite a bit for a 1 gallon batch).

But that's not exactly the point of this post.

I did as usual : cooling off, aeration, and yeast pitching. I pitched 3,8 grams of yeast, rehydrated. Pretty much standard stuff. The yeast was US5, that I'm using for the first time.

The yeast expires in Feb 2016.

I left about as much headspace as I usually do. See attached picture.

I pitched at 70F. After pitching, I cooled it down do 67-68F. It has pretty much maintained that temperature since. There were visible signs of fermentation about 5 hours later, and the bubbling in the blowoff bucket had started by Monday morning.

But here's my issue : considering what I said above, is it normal that the beer continues to overflow in the blow off tube (and in the blowoff bucket) 4 days after brewday ? Yeast pitched is standard (I think -- at worst, its a slight overshoot...), temperature is standard, headspace is standard, OG is standard and... I never brewed a beer with no specialty malt (or Munich) whatsoever and I've never used US5 either. Hell, even Belle Saison looks perfectly tame compared to this.

1413500758393.jpg

Chico strain produces more krausen mess than any other yeast I've used. San Diego super yeast or other English yeasts I have used don't really rise that high most of the time. I wouldn't worry about it, I have had blowoff for that long with Wlp 001 and us-05. Hopefully you don't lose too much beer since it was only a gallon.

Thanks all ! I just never worked with US5 before, so I didn't know how it would react.

Back