Overdone Ingredients Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
So I made a mead 5 years back that used a little lavender, and some Saaz hops and it turned out freaking incredible.

Well I thought I would switch hops, to something more grapefruitish... and I didn't get what I wanted.

I didn't look at the AA% on the hops, or I would of not put them in there.

I'm now left with an extremely bitter mead. I've backsweetened but that only fixed so much.

What can I do with this? Can it even be pasta sauce now?

Well...
You could dilute it into some plain mead... Thin it out a bit...

You could bottle it up and let it sit a few years... it might mellow out a little...

Or... you could give it away to your IPA loving friends...

Best of luck

John

I found a solution myself.

I add small amounts to a domestic beers. Makes for an alcohol and hop bonus, creating a more pallet-able corner store beer.

Instant IPA... Never thought of that, but it is a fine idea.

Step 1.. Pour 1 can of Natural light into an icy cold glass..
Step 2... Pour in 2-oz of your Ultra-Hopmel...

Step 3.. Enjoy your Custom Blended Home brew.

I always make mead without hops and it turns out great? I don't really think that adding hops would make it any better

You could always use it for cooking. I set aside some of my mead from my last big batch specifically for that. It might make a nice marinade. I cook up a chicken breast with it, add some rosemary and sage, serve it over some rice and vegetables.

Heck, now I'm tempted to make a hopped mead specifically for cooking.

Back