Overcarbonation w/ dual regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italarican

Reaction score
I made the plunge to kegging this year and have a dual regulator (3-way gas extension on 1, 1 line on the other). My kegs on the 3-way line were perfectly carbed for weeks. Then one day... pure foam from each keg. I had not touched the PSI on that source (12 PSI). It took over a week of degassing to get things back in place. Put it back to 12 PSI... everything perfect.

A few weeks ago, I force carbed my 4th keg on the second line (the only keg connected to that one) by shaking it for about 30 minutes at 25 PSI and waiting a day. The next day, again all my kegs on the 12 PSI line were spewing foam. It then hit me that I force carbed a different beer on that line a few days before I discovered the foam issue the first time.

Has this happened to anyone? I don't think it's supposed to, but for now I'm thinking I have to remove all my kegs from the gas if I'm force carbing, regardless of where they're connected.

Sorry, I don't have any help for you, that doesn't seem right. But, I've found the customer service from Keg Connection to be excellent, they might have an idea what is happening.

Yeah, that really should not be happening. The regulators should work independently and isolated from each other in that regard.
Does the gauge on the 12 psi line go up too?

Yeah, that really should not be happening. The regulators should work independently and isolated from each other in that regard.
Does the gauge on the 12 psi line go up too?

The 12PSI line read steadily (stayed at 12), which is what confuses me even more.

Do the gauges read proper?

I believe so: at 12 PSI for weeks, everything was perfect. I've also force carbed on that line, so have had it read at 25, 30, 0, 12, etc., and it's generally come out as I expected aside from these foaming incidents.

On the second line, I had force carbed a keg at closer to 30 PSI with no other kegs connected, degassed, and reduced the pressure to 10 PSI, and it was right where I wanted it. Right now the second line is at 10PSI, and that keg (the one whose force carbing seemingly put the others out of whack) is where I want it.

Try swapping them
again as others have pointed out it should not be an issue but it's worth trying and if the issue continues I would assume your unit has an internal failure of some sort

it looks like a really nice regulator it's a shame your having an issue

Try swapping them
again as others have pointed out it should not be an issue but it's worth trying and if the issue continues I would assume your unit has an internal failure of some sort

it looks like a really nice regulator it's a shame your having an issue

Will do. My next beer should be ready next weekend, so I'll try then.

I know this sounds trite, you sure you don't have your gas hoses cross-wired somehow?

Also, you don't have a beer on your 12 psi branched system still fermenting or outgassing after being over-carbonated?

I know this sounds trite, you sure you don't have your gas hoses cross-wired somehow?

Also, you don't have a beer on your 12 psi branched system still fermenting or outgassing after being over-carbonated?

The hoses definitely aren't cross-wired (I appreciate the question... consider all the options, right?).

I accidentally left the side w/ 3 lines connected and at 12 PSI when I left town last week for Thanksgiving. When I returned Sunday, I lowered the pressure on that side to 0PSI, closed off the lines, removed the ball lock disconnects, and am degassing for another few days.

The hoses definitely aren't cross-wired (I appreciate the question... consider all the options, right?).

I accidentally left the side w/ 3 lines connected and at 12 PSI when I left town last week for Thanksgiving. When I returned Sunday, I lowered the pressure on that side to 0PSI, closed off the lines, removed the ball lock disconnects, and am degassing for another few days.
Yes, eliminating a possible oversight.

So this is the 3rd time now? While you were away for the holidays, you did not have anything on the 2nd regulator (with the single "utility" line), and it was turned down to 0?
Was the tank valve open during that time? And the tank still has gas in it?

What does the pressure "sound like" when you pull the PRV on the overcarbed kegs? Does it indeed sound like 30 psi or so being vented?

You can degas faster by leaving the PRV open for day or longer, and/or warming them up to say 50 or 60F. You have to keep an eye on it though so you don't undershoot the target. I "decompressed" an overcarbed keg within one day that way.

Regulators are quite simple systems. Each regulator is on a central (trunk) line fed by the same high pressure gas from the tank at 500-2000 psi or so. A needle valve, controlled by the adjustment knob, in each of the bodies regulates how much gas goes inside the small internal space in the body, and shuts the supply once it gets to your set pressure. A gauge and output nipple are attached to that small internal space. Unless they are badly malfunctioning, regulators simply cannot share their output gas with other regulators on the same trunk line.

Do you have any check valves on the regulator outputs?

FYI: I was having additional problems w/ that dual regulator (leak after leak after leak). Keg Connection sent me a replacement in December. No issues w/ sudden over-carbing since then.

It still doesn't make sense to me, but switching out the regulator has seemed to address things.

Latest posts

Back