Overcarbonation caused by glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockindaddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a strange phenomenon going on. Whenever I pour my first beer into the glass it foams excessively and I only get about a half glass of beer. (If I'm lucky) However, after drinking the first beer rinsing the glass and pouring my second beer, it pours perfectly. I thought this was a coincidence but it is happening every single time. I've even tried rinsing the glass prior to pouring the first beer and it doesn't help. Is there some kind of chemical reaction with beer that conditions the surface of the glass that would cause this even after rinsing?

Are you pouring from a keg or bottles?

If you are pouring from a keg the foam is standard for the first pour.

It sounds like you have a slightly over carbonated beer. I recently had the same issue, and like you say, it would help to wet the glass first.

Maybe just the warm glass causing the co2 to leave the beer? After the first one the glass is chilled so co2 stays in the beer without foaming. Try chilling the glass before the first one and see if it still foams up. Just a guess.

A warm dry glass will cause a lot of foam from any beer. I always rinse glasses with cold tap water before filling and you will likely see that good beer bars do the same.

Try a salt scrub. Sometimes, if there's something on the glass (minerals, etc) it'll create a nucleation site which forms lots of bubbles. Pour a little salt and a little water in the glass and, using your fingers, scrub the glass with the salt, and rinse.

Try a salt scrub. Sometimes, if there's something on the glass (minerals, etc) it'll create a nucleation site which forms lots of bubbles. Pour a little salt and a little water in the glass and, using your fingers, scrub the glass with the salt, and rinse.

Interesting......I'll try this and report back. I will also try chilling the glass as well. Gotta get this figured out. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Interesting. If it is happening with all your glasses, my vote would be that some residual, e.g., cleaning chemicals are remaining on the glass which is forcing CO2 out of solution.

Hoe do your glasses react with name brand beer?

I don't have the problem with name brand beer. I tried chilling a glass (brand new glass, not my usual one) and I got the same result. I don't drink during the week, so I'll have to wait until the weekend to try the salt rub trick. I do notice the yeast rising up from the bottom of the bottle after popping the cap and that may have something to do with it. It's just weird that it is such a consistent problem.

Latest posts

Back