Over hyped beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw the title and didn't have time to read all the replies, but personally, I think hype is just that. I drink what I like and that's why I started brewing back in the late 80's. There's certain beers that have mass appeal but that doesn't mean that 'everyone' will like them as each drinker has taste-buds that are a little bit different. Unfortunately, some folks seem to think that because they like or dislike a particular style that everyone should feel that way. That's what makes the world go round and since I realized that, life is a lot better~ Drink what you will, I don't care, hahaha!

In those same old threads are people like you wining about this type of thread starting. Kind of like the "If you don't like the beer, don't buy it". If you don't like the thread, don't reply to it. Enjoy it constantly refreshing in your feed though now.
Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Fair enough

Not at all, Saying something did not live up to your expectations from to all the talk about it, is not the same as saying it is bad beer.

I guess I misunderstood the term "overhyped" because to me that means it doesn't deserve the attention it gets, not that it just doesn't live up to what you expect it to be.

This thread is awesome.

This is slightly off topic but I have had a lot of beer that was mistreated. My recent sourness comes from a 4 pack of Unibroue Trois Pistoles that were all gushers and I ended up with about 7 ounces of foam when they were poured in a glass. It's getting harder and harder for me to plunk down 10+ dollars on something that is becoming a crap shoot for consistency and quality.

Not at all, Saying something did not live up to your expectations from to all the talk about it, is not the same as saying it is bad beer.

You make an interesting point.

I'd point out that if people didn't buy lockstep into the bs they see on Facebook, or untapped, or beer advocate, or all the other hype machines out there, there would not be such unreasonable lifechanging expectations of a beer.

It's just beer. It's not the beer or the brewers fault that you thought it would be lifechanging, so threads like this that merely denigrate a particular beer or brewer are indeed unfair, and thus, "hating".

Dragon's Milk by New Holland. The most over-hyped beer in the state of Michigan.

I just had this a couple nights ago. Always heard things about it.

I have to say, from what I had heard about it, it's certainly deserving of the hype.

I went for the hype on the Enjoy by IPA yesterday. I missed out last year and made sure I had some in hand this year.....tried it last night and felt let down it wasn't worth the hype.

I (like many, I think) find that Dogfish Head gets a ton of hype because they are, without a doubt, a creative and risk-taking brewery. And I applaud that. They are the commercial version of exactly what homebrewing is all about. With that said, I think it's the *brewery* and not necessarily the *beers* that deserve the accolades. The mindset and approach is definitely laudable, but for me, a great number of their beers really don't sit well on my palate. I love Bitches' Brew (the beer and the album!), Burton Baton, and 90-minute, but I can't force myself to finish Sixty-One, Midas Touch, or pretty much anything they brew with grape must or fruit juice. I always find this interesting, because this kind of creativity and fearlessness with ingredients is exactly what I find so awesome about DFH, and yet the way they tend to use those ingredients in a practical setting leaves me wondering if it was ever a good idea in the first place.

And one last note, for the commenters who have been holding the side conversation on this thread: if it wasn't clear, I'm not trying to be negative here. I am, in fact, saying that I admire DFH and think that they deserve the hype that they receive for their out-of-the-box ideas. I'm also saying that a lot of those ideas end up falling flat for me when the beer hits my tongue.

DFH 120 in my opinion is over-hyped. I used to be a big fan, but honestly I can't tell if I'm drinking wine or beer with most of their current lineup. I still like DFH 90 and the occasional offering. I still buy anything new that comes out.

I just had my first Pliny a few days ago. I was expecting fireworks to go off when I took my first sip. It didn't happen. But I will admit it was a very, very good beer. I think it is the best balanced DIPA I've ever had.

Just to clarify, My comment about pliny was not meant to be negative, Just that it wasn't what I thought it was gonna be. I certainly enjoyed it and even bought another bottle the next day (it was bottled 2 days prior btw) Probably 3/4 of my drinking is done locally, which is too easy here in SD, but even before I moved here we only had 2 new breweries and I drank them whenever i could. I just like to try hype beers at least once

My take on overhyped is this - It is one thing to pay $5-$10 for a beer you can't get, so you can give it a try - I would gladly do that any time. I figure I would not bat an eye to pay $5-$6 for a pint of "great" beer at a pub - so, if I can try it by buying it for that - I will. Does not mean I would buy a case of it a week. But, $4 for a bottle of hopslam - sure. Why not? Same for Pliny - Would I spend $50 a week to drink it all the time - no way. But, it was worth every penny I spent on a couple bottles to try it out. Gather up a bunch of Local beers and ship it out east to have a shot at trying Heady, Nugget Nectar, Jai Alai - definitely. Totally worth it - every one of those were great beers. Glad I got to try them.
What I don't get is people who spend "time" to drink one beer at the exclusion of other great beers. A couple years ago I was at Great Taste of the Midwest and people literally sat in line waiting for an ounce or two of Dark Lord for 2-3 hours. There were 1000's of beers to go try. I would have spent $5 to try an ounce of dark lord and be on my way. However, there is not a chance in hell that I would wait 2 hours to taste it when I could be trying everything else that was available.
Basically, all beers CAN'T be the BEST beer of all time - but, man, there are a lot of really good ones out there, and I would always be glad to give them a try if I can find a way.
By the way...... if anyone wants some "overhyped toppling goliath" for your "overhyped local beer" - let me know:)

Oh boy here goes, Dark Lord...meh, to me Goose Island BCS is better and much much easier to fine.

Now as for Zombie Dust, believe the hype, it's freakin delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not sure what the hype is among real beer snobs, but Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde goes on my list. Ommegang's Three Philosophers as well.I was relatively uninformed as to what I should expect with either of them, but looking back at the brewers' own descriptions of the beers, they both sound quite appealing to me. YMMV

Back