over carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popatop

Reaction score
I set co2 at 10 and left alone. Temp at 34-36 . 5ft 3/16 beer line. When I pour I get a glass full of foam. I have noticed that the temp swings in the keggerator enough that I am going to change t/stat , stat has stuck once. Could these temp swings cause all this foam. I have caught the box as cold as 25 degress. Also I initially bought a cheap faucett. I am thinking I may need to upgrade to a pearl. Any suggestions for my problem and a good faucett would be greatly appreciated.

Definitely should start by correcting wild temperature swings. When the temperature plummets the colder beer will absorb more CO2, but when it warms up it can't hold the extra CO2 and it'll come out of solution, causing foam. If the beer warms along its way from keg to glass, the same thing happens.

Next, you need to tune your beer line length to help keep CO2 in the beer. Five feet of 3/16" ID beer line is about half the length you need, imo.

Finally, while I'm a Perl fan and user, the faucet shouldn't make a lot of difference wrt excessive foaming. As long as it's clean and being fully opened during the pour, a faucet shouldn't cause much if any foaming - the problems are almost always up stream...

Cheers!

Back