Over Carbonation in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I filled my first keg and while trying to figure out the right amount of psi to force carb along with a lack of patience, I think I over carbed the beer? I get about 90% foam when dispensing -even at very low psi (2-3).

The method I used was to crank it to 30 psi and shook it often for the first day. Then I lowered to 20 psi and shook often for the next couple of days. I then lowered to 10 psi.

It's a pale ale and I am using about 5 1/4" line. I have 7' of beer line but figured that might not curb the problem.

Is there anyway to remedy this or do I just have to live with it until the keg is empty? Next time I plan to not force carb and just be patient!

Thanks for any help.

Turn off gas and vent. You may need to do this several times, but you'll get it settled down if you are patient.

I prefer to set at 10-12 psi and let it sit a couple days to absorb, or you can add priming sugar and wait as well.

Back