over carbonated..need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnpaddler

Reaction score
I bottled five gallons of IPA and somehow I must have miss measured my sugar addition. When I try to open a cold bottle of the IPA (it has been 2 months since bottled) it starts to foam as soon as I slightly crack open the cap. If I allow it to steadily purge a little foam for about 1/2 hr or more I can slowly remove the bottle cap, but the sediment that was on the bottom of the bottle is now agitated throughout the entire bottle. If I open it quickly, the entire bottle blows all the beer/foam out of the bottle neck like a volcanoe.....is there any way to salvage what would have been a great IPA?....thanks for any assistance....Scotty

Was it that way originally when you were first openning them? Like after the initial 3-4 weeks? If they were fine initially then gushing sounds like an infection.

C02 is dissolved in the solution. Not really a way to take X% out. I think you just have to deal with it at this point.

See if there is a ring around the neck of the bottle where the top of the beer is. That might indicate an infection.

How does it taste?

Thing is, it's already in there, so the question isn't what can you do about it, but should you throw it out or not! If it tastes fine, then chill as much as you can and drink it. The cold will help keep the foaming to a minimum.

If it tastes bad, infection and time to toss those bad boys!

two things happened...this was a dry hop beer and during the transfer to my bottling bucket I noticed a lot of hoppy floaties in the beer....secondly I was getting interupted more times than I care to mention and I could have doubled the sugar?

The extreme foaming has not changed since the first bottle I opened ten days after bottling. If i spend 4-5 hours of slowly releasing the pressure in the bottle, the beer is very drinkable...lots of sidiment from the bottom of the bottle pours over into the glass as it bubbles up with the foam.......I guess i will try to salvage what I can in each bottle and in the future DO NOT answer the door or phone or wife when I am brewing (smile)......cheers

so, I find that if i punch a small pin hole in the top of the bottle cap, that the foam comes out really slow....by putting the bottle in the frodge for an hour on a plate, I find that i can remove the bottle cap and I only lost about an inch of beer to foam...I then put the bottle back into the fridge for another 1/2 hour to let the floaties settle and low and behold-I have a really good hoppy beer with just a tad too much carbonation.....but at least I am not tossing out money, lots of work, and still good beer............ya-hoo.....cheers, Scotty

I did this with a batch half under carbed half over carbed thanks to not stirring the bottling bucket. My solution was crack it, if it took off... well put your mouth over it and be force feed beer (I could think of worse things to happen in life):D

But seriously I like the pin hole idea, I will keep that in mind for my next screwup

Clem

Back