Over carbonated kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VVino

Reaction score
So... not quite sure how this happened but I seem to have over-carbonated my first two kegs. Here's the setup:

- home-made keezer
- 10lb CO2 tank
- 2-way regulator with tank gage (3 dials total)
- 4-way splitter hooked up to 1 of the regulators
- two kegs hooked up the the splitter, all other valves closed

For the first week or so I had the tanks on 12psi. But now when I wake up in the morning, it's at around 15psi. I turn the regulator down to 10, gas off until the CO2 tank has to kick in, and it stops at 10psi. But by the morning it creeps back up to 15psi.

Is this a leak in the regulator or is CO2 discharging from the beer?

How long did you let the beer ferment? Are you sure it was finished?

I could be way off, but if you don't have a check valve coming off your regulators, your over carbonated beer could be off-gassing CO2 back into the line and raising your pressure. Its happened to me before and I verified there was no leak. I would say this is especially true if your keezer is in the warmup period before the compressor kicks on.

Seems like there's a small pressure creep to one of the two regulator dials. With the outlet valve closed, it takes like 5 minutes to get to stop increasing pressure when turning the regulator knob. It just looks like it's at equilibrium faster when the valve is open and it's going out to the kegs, but its creeps up to its final pressure much more slowly.

Grr... probably gonna have to replace it.

Back