over carbed with oak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supergrump

Reaction score
I did an oaked Scottish 80/- (or closer to 90/-) over the winter and I find its been slowly priming itself in the bottle over time, so that it is now much more carbonated than I intended. I don't have my notes handy, but off the top of my head I conditioned in the secondary for 3-4 months and about 6 weeks of that was with oak cubes. OG was about 1.062, I think. I aimed for about 1.5 units of carbonation, using dextrose, and I bottled it at room temperature because I've read bottling cold beer will overshoot the carbonation (I've experienced this). The bottles are stored at just below room temp, 19 celsius.

I can only think of two possible reasons for the bottles over-carbonating, with no sign of stopping: either the oak has leached out some complex sugars that are still fermenting over time, or else the caramels in the Scottish ale ( I kettle caramelized) are still fermenting over time. Does oak need to be conditioned longer before bottling? What about Scottish ales with kettle caramelization? I did a much bigger Scotch ale a year ago and conditioned for about the same time but with no oak and didn't experience this at all.

Or maybe an infection? Have you checked the gravity of one your overcarbed bottles? Did you treat the oak at all to make it sanitary? Steam or liquor or something?

I'd love to hear any update to this. I just put a 1.071 Scottish ale on oak chips last weekend. How did it turn out and did you find anything to suggest the problem? 6 months in a secondary sounds like a long time, I'm only going to leave mine for a couple weeks and then bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can't detect any off flavors that would indicate an infection. I boiled the cubes for a few min prior to racking onto them in an attempt to sanitize. I've noticed that the oak flavor was quite strong when I removed the cubes from the secondary, but the oak flavor has dissipated a lot since then. Now, I would say the oak is present and blends very well with the malty beer. Can't figure out the carbonation though.

I just cracked open the first one of my Oaked Scottish ale. It's a couple weeks early, but I have to say I like the oak with it. I only Oaked a couple weeks in the beer, so I hope I can still taste it ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400639598.123785.jpg a couple weeks from now. It's a very young beer, not even fully carved yet. Anyway, I used peat smoked malt too and it is nicely balanced right now. We'll see what happens in a couple more weeks. It's good, I'll definitely brew this style again.

Latest posts

Back