Over attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyMac81

Reaction score
So lately I've been getting final gravity readings on a lot of my beers that are too low. Things from stouts to weizens are coming in under 1.010 consistently. Is there an easy way to stop fermentation at the target fg or ways to limit yeast activity?

I bought a new hydrometer thinking it was the problem but it gave the same readings as my original one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Check your thermometers, they may be off and you could be mashing at a lower temp then desired creating a more fermentable wort.

Yep check your thermometers, and check several times during the mash, depending on your set up, you may be loosing too much temp, and mashing lower than you think.

Infection can be also a culprit, but Id assume youd taste it, or have cloudy beer, or some other sign.

You can stop it early, via cold crashing, fining (or filtering), and kegging. But it is far better to figure out why it is happening.

Back