Over 3 weeks in the fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
My first post... ;)
I started a 1 gallon, all grain, IPA on 1/9. It's now 2/1 and I still have lots of tiny bubbles rolling up the sides to the point where there is a thin layer of foam from the tiny bubbles sitting on top of the beer??

Here's what I did:
From day 1 I kept the fermenter in a cool dark place. The beer stayed in the low 60s (around 62-64 deg).

It went through it's normal eruption of activity in the first couple of days then slowed to the tiny bubbles. After 2 weeks, I moved it upstairs in order to raise the temp slightly (67-68) and help it finish.

Today is day 24 and the last couple of days, the tiny bubble activity has increased considerably to the point where there is a thin layer of foam from the tiny bubbles sitting on top of the beer.

Did I do something wrong? Is all lost?? Any help and advice would be appreciated!

You really aren't going to get an accurate read on fermentation completion without a gravity reading. Check the gravity. Also, you're going to need to rack it soon or you can get off flavors from sitting on the trub for too long. Usually at or before four weeks.

All is definitely not lost.

Three weeks is about as short a time in a fermenter as I would ever go, and only if I was in a big hurry. Let it go another week or two and don't worry about it.

Three weeks is about as short a time in a fermenter as I would ever go, and only if I was in a big hurry. Let it go another week or two and don't worry about it.

+1

Some simple beers can ferment to completion in 2 weeks, but I go with 3 at the bare minimum, usually 4 to be safe. As long as your gravity reading is still ticking down, leave it in the fermenter.

+1 for the +1. "Don't Worry" is the mantra 'round these parts, for good reason. It's beer, not rocket science (although it CAN be, if you want to take it to the next few levels). I usually go 3-5 weeks (depends on how lazy I am this month) in the primary, don't worry about secondary (yet another thread, look up the thread 'To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In').

I DO take gravity readings, and you should learn how to do that. Might not be all that helpful right now, as you may not have done so when you racked to your primary fermentor, but if you take a reading now, and then three days later, and it doesn't change, primary fermentation is likely done. You can then bottle with a fair amount of confidence that the bottles won't explode.

Welcome to homebrewing!

Shew... I was surprised by this latest activity change and the length of time but it sounds like this is not too out of the norm. That's a relief.
I do need to get a hydrometer and use it. I don't like the idea of opening up the fermenter before it's finished (rookie paranoia??) but I guess it's a necessary part of the process.
I assume I use a wine/beer thief to pull beer out for a reading? I have a thief from an old wine kit.
I'll stay the course and see where it ends up...
Thanks for the replies and the welcome!

Yep, a thief is great for that, though I've also used the auto-siphon. You just need a sample tube large enough to accept the hydrometer and allow it to spin a bit (not too snug, in other words).

Buy some iodophor or StarSan and mix it up, then pour some in a spray bottle and label it. Use this to spray the thief a minute or two before dunking it in the beer to sanitize it. I like StarSan, because I can't taste it (I like to sample my sample; if it's infected or something, I want to know before I go through the hassle of bottling).

Back