Oven Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Who uses probed oven thermometer on a wire. I am looking to use one while mashing, so the meter is on the counter and the probe is in the tun. Recommend a brand. I have found some in the store but they are like $60 while there are some on amazon for $20. I don't want a piece of junk but I'm not looking to spend a butt ton.

I use them. They work pretty well, just be careful not to get the probe wet past where the wire enters it, its been the death of 2 of them. Otherwise they have been great. I use the Poder brand, usually about $20 bucks on amazon.

I use a similar thermometer from Walmart - wire with metal probe. I put shrink wrap where the metal meets the wire after straightening the probe. I have brewed between 20 and 25 times with no problem. I read on HBT that if the probe is submerged past the wire then the probe will be ruined, hence the shrink wrap.

I had one. I used it for about 3 brews before it got way out of calibration.

Temperature is one of the most important things to all-grain. It's hard enough to hit the right temperature, and much harder when you don't trust the thermometer. It's worth spending a little more.

People love the thermapen, but it's not on a wire. For about the same price and from the same manufacturer, you can get the Mini Handheld and waterproof "PTFE/FEP TIP PROBES" on this page. (You can also buy the low cost oven probe and have a stellar meat thermometer at the same time)

I use the mini handheld and it's awesome. You just submerge the wire and leave it in there with no worries.

I just picked up a polder, you can buy replacement probes, I had to buy Starsan so I figured WTF if it funks up it's only $20 bones and the replacement probes are $5

I highly recommend the Thermapen. It was one of the best investments I've made, and has helped me dial in accurate temperatures and resulting consistency in beers. Like said above, it's not on a wire, and it does cost a butt ton as far as thermometers go, but it's entirely worth it.

I use a Taylor w/a probe. It has a timer and temp alarm. It has a clip so I can put it on my boil kettle set to say 209* and walk away. When I hear the alarm I can rush over and avoid boil overs. Only problem is mentioned above gotta keep the probe/wire joint dry. bought my at Target, not sure what I paid.

I have a Polder and really like it for my HLT. I also have a thermopen and the polder is within 2 degrees of the Thermopen. The polder has a silicon wire with stainless probe. It is water resistent so you can submerge it in water. The only thing to be careful about is don't submerge it in liquid that is dropping in temperature. It is not completely waterproof and when the air inside the probe contracts, it will pull liquid into it and short the sensor. You can dry it out in an oven to recover. I really like the temp alert buzzer for notifying me that the HLT is up to temp, but I use the Thermopen for the mash since it is more accurate. You don't need to continuously monitor the mash. Just take a few measurements in different places since you can get hot spots. Thermometers can be way off, so it's good to compare them against a known good one like a Themopen.

I use an iGrill made for the iPhone it has two probes on a long heat proof wire. Made for the grill. But I stick a probe into my mash and turn it on and it links to phone Bluetooth. So I can monitor it from any room.

Yeah that is what I do now, but it's the opening and closing repeatedly losing heat that concerns me

Yes, but if you don't open it and stir, you'll have hot and cool spots that make your stationary probe reading meaningless. That's been my experience.

Yes, but if you don't open it and stir, you'll have hot and cool spots that make your stationary probe reading meaningless. That's been my experience.

IMHO hot and cold spots are the result of inadequate initial stirring, I would suggest adding the grain and stirring well, let sit for 3-5 minutes for the grain to absorb the heat of the strike water, stir again very very well until you have even temps throughout and RDWHAHB!

Some folks like to use a handheld in addition to a stationary thermometer so they can quickly check different spots in the mash, for this reason I prefer the handheld, sort of like the versatility of a pistol, vs a mounted gun....ah to each their own....cheers!

Water does boil at 212 except in the mountains like me its 209;) therm pen is one of those its going to cost you but you def get what you pay for. And if your going to be brewing say for years... might as well buy the best and worry about the cost of grain and not equipment.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back